Old 27-11-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Using dried beans and peas question

In article ,
Baz wrote:
I know this is not a cookery group, but I think this is on topic.
My saved beans and peas never tenderise even though I soak them for 12hrs
and cook for ages.
Some are like bullets.

Don't bet on it not being a cookery group :-)

If you are adding salt before they are soft, that could have caused
it. Otherwise, depending on the bean, they can take anything from
2 to 12 hours to soften. Yes, really.

I cover them with boiling water, let it cool, throw away the water
and repeat 2-5 times. This is to reduce their flatulent effect.
Then I boil them in plain water for 10 minutes, and simmmer for
hours. You can use a slow cooker for the latter stage, but you
MUST boil them first to destroy the toxins. Peas are probably OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.