Old 27-11-2012, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Using dried beans and peas question

I know this is not a cookery group, but I think this is on topic.
My saved beans and peas never tenderise even though I soak them for 12hrs
and cook for ages.
Some are like bullets.

Any ideas.
Baz
Old 27-11-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Baz wrote:
I know this is not a cookery group, but I think this is on topic.
My saved beans and peas never tenderise even though I soak them for 12hrs
and cook for ages.
Some are like bullets.

Don't bet on it not being a cookery group :-)

If you are adding salt before they are soft, that could have caused
it. Otherwise, depending on the bean, they can take anything from
2 to 12 hours to soften. Yes, really.

I cover them with boiling water, let it cool, throw away the water
and repeat 2-5 times. This is to reduce their flatulent effect.
Then I boil them in plain water for 10 minutes, and simmmer for
hours. You can use a slow cooker for the latter stage, but you
MUST boil them first to destroy the toxins. Peas are probably OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-11-2012, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in :

In article ,
Baz wrote:
I know this is not a cookery group, but I think this is on topic.
My saved beans and peas never tenderise even though I soak them for
12hrs and cook for ages.
Some are like bullets.

Don't bet on it not being a cookery group :-)

If you are adding salt before they are soft, that could have caused
it. Otherwise, depending on the bean, they can take anything from
2 to 12 hours to soften. Yes, really.

I cover them with boiling water, let it cool, throw away the water
and repeat 2-5 times. This is to reduce their flatulent effect.
Then I boil them in plain water for 10 minutes, and simmmer for
hours. You can use a slow cooker for the latter stage, but you
MUST boil them first to destroy the toxins. Peas are probably OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick
Mine won't soften no matter how long they are boiled. I don't use salt
because I read somewhere that it toughens the skins.
I didn't know beans contained toxins, so thanks for that also.
The flatulent effect never bothers me. There is not much that can get me to
my knees laughing more than a good old trumpet voluntary :-) The more that
join in the better, but touching cloth is not allowed, and could get you
disqualified :-)

Baz
Old 27-11-2012, 05:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

Thanks, Nick
Mine won't soften no matter how long they are boiled. I don't use salt
because I read somewhere that it toughens the skins.
I didn't know beans contained toxins, so thanks for that also.
The flatulent effect never bothers me. There is not much that can get me to
my knees laughing more than a good old trumpet voluntary :-) The more that
join in the better, but touching cloth is not allowed, and could get you
disqualified :-)
You probably won't read this since I post from gardenbanter but it may be useful to others.

Longer soaking is probably more useful than longer cooking. I usually put things to soak the night before, so they get more like 16 hours.

Bicarb of soda in the soaking water sometimes helps (a memory from younger days when I found myself having to take short cuts) but I'm not sure what it does for the nutritional value.

Papein, used as meat tenderiser, in the soaking water also helps, but I'm not convinced there's any logical reason why it should.
__________________
Old 27-11-2012, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;973786']

[...]

Well he might see it now I have responded. I also used your method when I
used to use dried beans
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 28-11-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
Bicarb of soda in the soaking water sometimes helps (a memory from
younger days when I found myself having to take short cuts) but I'm not
sure what it does for the nutritional value.

Someone told me at the weekend that the bicarb is just to keep the colour
Old 28-11-2012, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.b2ada96
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

You probably won't read this since I post from gardenbanter but it may
be useful to others.

Longer soaking is probably more useful than longer cooking. I usually
put things to soak the night before, so they get more like 16 hours.

Bicarb of soda in the soaking water sometimes helps (a memory from
younger days when I found myself having to take short cuts) but I'm not
sure what it does for the nutritional value.

Papein, used as meat tenderiser, in the soaking water also helps, but
I'm not convinced there's any logical reason why it should.

I have learned to accept gardenbanter now. I don't like it at all, but
there isn't a thing any of us can do about it.
Anyway, kay, thankyou for the welcome info.

Baz
Old 28-11-2012, 06:34 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

It used to be used to keep the colour of green veg, but didn't do much for their nutritional value, which is why people don't use it any more.

Most beans don't have a lot of colour to keep!

It's a very long ago memory - my life is more ordered now, and I generally am a lot more organised about thinking ahead for bean soaking, so I haven't needed to use anything.
__________________
Old 28-11-2012, 06:36 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

No, nor do I, neither morally or regards its ease of use, but having moved to a Mac I can't find a free Mac newsreader, and I don't want to pay when the only ng I read is urg.
Old 29-11-2012, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:19:44 +0000, kay
wrote:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

Does it make any difference how old the beans are?
I've got 2 jars of mixed dried beans (own grown) which are about 10
years old! Can I still try cooking them? Now have no allotment so
cannot grow any.

Pam in Bristol