Old 27-11-2012, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Using dried beans and peas question

wrote in :

In article ,
Baz wrote:
I know this is not a cookery group, but I think this is on topic.
My saved beans and peas never tenderise even though I soak them for
12hrs and cook for ages.
Some are like bullets.

Don't bet on it not being a cookery group :-)

If you are adding salt before they are soft, that could have caused
it. Otherwise, depending on the bean, they can take anything from
2 to 12 hours to soften. Yes, really.

I cover them with boiling water, let it cool, throw away the water
and repeat 2-5 times. This is to reduce their flatulent effect.
Then I boil them in plain water for 10 minutes, and simmmer for
hours. You can use a slow cooker for the latter stage, but you
MUST boil them first to destroy the toxins. Peas are probably OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks, Nick
Mine won't soften no matter how long they are boiled. I don't use salt
because I read somewhere that it toughens the skins.
I didn't know beans contained toxins, so thanks for that also.
The flatulent effect never bothers me. There is not much that can get me to
my knees laughing more than a good old trumpet voluntary :-) The more that
join in the better, but touching cloth is not allowed, and could get you
disqualified :-)

Baz