Old 24-04-2003, 03:09 AM
John Savage

Default Possums

"EPSTEIN" writes:
Any ideas how to deter possums from devastating our garden? Currently they
are eating all new shoots on a whole variety of plants, but seem to love
Photinias and Lillypillis. Have tried so many different products, the most
successful one being "POSSOFF", albeit limited success.

Is it common to give a name to your 12-gauge? :-)

I'm sure that a search on www.google.com for this newsgroup and "possum"
will turn up more archived material than you can digest in a whole day.
It is a topic that has been much visited.

No one has ever given feedback on something I once quoted from a gardening
program claiming that in Qld gardeners had discovered that placing a
child's teddy bear in a tree would ward off possums. The idea exploits the
possum's instinctive territorial behaviour: if he thinks a tree is already
occupied, he will simply move on to an unoccupied one to avoid a fight over
territory. (Yes, I know, such a gentleman's agreement doesn't seem to apply
to prior occupancy of household ceilings, though!)
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)