Old 21-04-2003, 12:08 PM
EPSTEIN

Default Possums

Any ideas how to deter possums from devastating our garden? Currently they
are eating all new shoots on a whole variety of plants, but seem to love
Photinias and Lillypillis. Have tried so many different products, the most
successful one being "POSSOFF", albeit limited success.

Kind regards,

Ivor

Old 21-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Gerard

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:07:07 +1000, "EPSTEIN"
wrote:

Any ideas how to deter possums from devastating our garden? Currently they
are eating all new shoots on a whole variety of plants, but seem to love
Photinias and Lillypillis. Have tried so many different products, the most
successful one being "POSSOFF", albeit limited success.

I've heard that a garlic spray works, or crush some garlic and hang it
in some old stockings around the plants to deter them

--

A. Top Posters
Q. What's the most annoying thing on the usenet?
Old 22-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Fred Smithy

There are three successful ways of deterring possums:

1. Chase them with a stick in your undies
2. Alfoil wrapped around the tree or shoots
3. Shoot the *******s

Hey! You choose!

u...

Old 22-04-2003, 08:56 AM
David Hare-Scott

"EPSTEIN" wrote in message
u...
Any ideas how to deter possums from devastating our garden? Currently

they
are eating all new shoots on a whole variety of plants, but seem to

love
Photinias and Lillypillis. Have tried so many different products, the

most
successful one being "POSSOFF", albeit limited success.

Kind regards,

Ivor

Get a dog of a protective/territorial type?

Electric fence?

Both?

David

Old 22-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Timmy

Trap them [then send them to New Zealand].

Old 23-04-2003, 12:57 PM
evan

possibly not an option for you, but i work with a bloke who had a possum
die in the top of a tree at his place. for a month or so, the rest
stayed away. if brush tails are the problem, i know another bloke who
put up a possum box. he had one large brushy move in and it keeps the
rest at bay.

good luck,
evan.

Old 24-04-2003, 03:09 AM
John Savage

"EPSTEIN" writes:
Any ideas how to deter possums from devastating our garden? Currently they
are eating all new shoots on a whole variety of plants, but seem to love
Photinias and Lillypillis. Have tried so many different products, the most
successful one being "POSSOFF", albeit limited success.

Is it common to give a name to your 12-gauge? :-)

I'm sure that a search on www.google.com for this newsgroup and "possum"
will turn up more archived material than you can digest in a whole day.
It is a topic that has been much visited.

No one has ever given feedback on something I once quoted from a gardening
program claiming that in Qld gardeners had discovered that placing a
child's teddy bear in a tree would ward off possums. The idea exploits the
possum's instinctive territorial behaviour: if he thinks a tree is already
occupied, he will simply move on to an unoccupied one to avoid a fight over
territory. (Yes, I know, such a gentleman's agreement doesn't seem to apply
to prior occupancy of household ceilings, though!)
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 24-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Jeremy Lunn

In article , John Savage wrote:
territory. (Yes, I know, such a gentleman's agreement doesn't seem to apply
to prior occupancy of household ceilings, though!)

May depend on the type of possums. Ceilings tend to be occupied by
Brushtails (I do believe that it's still possible for Ringtail to find
it's way in there, though they generally build nests). Probably the
best thing to do is to provide a possum box to give ceiling inhabitants
a form of alternative accomadation where no hollow tress can be sought.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia
Old 24-04-2003, 07:44 AM
alwynne mackie

I find that Charlie Carp works with ringtails, and I'm told that they all
love snail pellets.
Alwynne

u...

Old 27-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Pete 'n' Trish

Hello there, The Kiwis export the carcase's to Asia as Honey Eating Tree
Bears. We also turn the hides into Koala Bears . The fluffy tailed ones are
horrors ane I have seen how the can devastate a garden overnight, good luck
trish in Sydney. .....

Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 29-12-2023 02:33 AM
Killing possums? Roger Riordan Australia 17 30-08-2003 11:42 PM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 05:32 AM
Possums....Thiram J & A Haig Australia 0 27-04-2003 10:20 PM
Athletic ability of possums? Roger Riordan Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:37 AM