Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Inspired neglect?

It has been a difficult year due to a lot of building work and the weather
earlier in the year.

So the bulbs from last Xmas in their little buckets/pots have been sitting
out all year in a North facing front garden and generally waterlogged most
of the time.
Surprisingly, they seem to be doing fine and are sprouting away.
Indoors now and may well bloom for this Xmas.
I was going to plant them out but never had the time.

I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged, recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as though
they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I've leeks and beetroot which never made it out to the allotment but are in
large pots.
No massive growth but they do seem to be still alive and growing slowly.

So do we coddle plants a bit too much? :-)

Oh, and my desert cactus are still alive after a couple of freezing winters
outside in pots.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]