Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Inspired neglect?

It has been a difficult year due to a lot of building work and the weather
earlier in the year.

So the bulbs from last Xmas in their little buckets/pots have been sitting
out all year in a North facing front garden and generally waterlogged most
of the time.
Surprisingly, they seem to be doing fine and are sprouting away.
Indoors now and may well bloom for this Xmas.
I was going to plant them out but never had the time.

I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged, recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as though
they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I've leeks and beetroot which never made it out to the allotment but are in
large pots.
No massive growth but they do seem to be still alive and growing slowly.

So do we coddle plants a bit too much? :-)

Oh, and my desert cactus are still alive after a couple of freezing winters
outside in pots.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged, recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as
though they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I'd use them as they are, if you plant them out they will just run to
seed in the spring and will have a hard core.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged, recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as
though they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I'd use them as they are, if you plant them out they will just run to seed
in the spring and will have a hard core.

They are far too small to use - couple of inches tall and very thin indeed.
Nowhere near the size of spring onions, more the size of baby chives.
..

Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged, recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as
though they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I'd use them as they are, if you plant them out they will just run to
seed in the spring and will have a hard core.

They are far too small to use - couple of inches tall and very thin
indeed.
Nowhere near the size of spring onions, more the size of baby chives.

You could still use them in a stir fry or in a sandwich.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged, recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as
though they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I'd use them as they are, if you plant them out they will just run to
seed in the spring and will have a hard core.

They are far too small to use - couple of inches tall and very thin
indeed.
Nowhere near the size of spring onions, more the size of baby chives.

You could still use them in a stir fry or in a sandwich.

Hardly sems worth picking them to give token garnish on half a round :-)
Think I may just plant them up next year and see if they bolt immediately.

The ones in the big pots will be picked when I get round to it.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

If it's worth saying it, my leeks were the same this year. I started them in
trays, planted them out. They did not do well. They didn't bolt, they
didn't grow either.
My spinach bolted almost as soon as it came up.
Beans, runner and french were spectacular.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hardly sems worth picking them to give token garnish on half a round :-)
Think I may just plant them up next year and see if they bolt immediately.

If it's worth saying it, my leeks were the same this year. I started them in
trays, planted them out. They did not do well. They didn't bolt, they
didn't grow either.
My spinach bolted almost as soon as it came up.
Beans, runner and french were spectacular.

Leeks are Biennial make their growth in the first year, run to seed the
second year.

Roses - criminal neglect Hypatia Nachshon Gardening 4 19-09-2015 01:53 AM
Benign Neglect Shiva Roses 0 28-07-2004 01:04 AM
Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature Paul Heimiller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 31-01-2004 08:07 AM
Benign Neglect Ponder - Regime change [email protected] Ponds 8 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Neglect feeds future fires Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 05-02-2003 04:38 PM