Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Do blackbirds eat apples?

wrote in message
My garden has, I think, the perfect apple tree for blackbirds. There are
no squirrels around, and (I hope!) no rats. There is no easy approach for
cats, and I'm far enough away not to startle the birds. I just leave the
apples to fall from the tree, and blackbirds enjoy the feast for months.

I read somewhere that you may think you are just getting one or two
blackbirds in your garden, but it's usually several different birds. They
tend to look alike

Also, the males enjoy the apples just as much as the females. Indeed, the
tough guys chase other blackbirds away from "their" apples. They do eat
them on the tree, now and again, but seem to prefer the ground. But most
of the apples seem to get pecked before I think about picking them. I
wonder if this is evolution at work? I imagine the blackbirds thinking,
"I'll peck this and then that fussy, pesky human won't steal it."

and Blackbirds are selective with which apples they want to eat. Ours in our
neighbourhood like Coxs' apples.

Watching a pair of Magpies come down after some crusty pastry we put out.

Had the Robin down a few times

Mike