Old 28-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Paul D.Smith

Default Do blackbirds eat apples?

All,

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we tried long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

So do other readers know of such behaviour or have suggestions what this
bird might be if it's not a blackbird?

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old 28-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Emrys Davies

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
All,

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird

which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just

the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we

tried long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

So do other readers know of such behaviour or have suggestions what

this
bird might be if it's not a blackbird?

Cheers,
Paul DS.

Yes they do eat apples. This site fully explains their behaviour.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/blackbird.htm

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Kay

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
All,

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we tried long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

So do other readers know of such behaviour or have suggestions what this
bird might be if it's not a blackbird?

Blackbirds very frequently eat apples, and are probably the most likely
culprits if you find apples are being attacked. They will eat them on
the ground, or from the tree if there is somewhere convenient to perch.
We have apples trained over a pergola, and the blackbirds attack the
ones that are close to the bars of the pergola.
--
Kay

Old 28-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Larry Stoter

Paul D.Smith wrote:

All,

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we tried long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

So do other readers know of such behaviour or have suggestions what this
bird might be if it's not a blackbird?

Cheers,
Paul DS.

Blackbirds will happily eat all sorts of fruit - apples, bananas, pears,
grapes - they especially like fruit that is going manky. A runny banana
drives my garden blackbirds to delerium! In a previous house, we had a
male blackbird that would do almost anything for green grapes -
including taking them from the hand and coming into the kitchen for
them.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 28-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Spider

Paul D.Smith wrote in message
t...
All,

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird

which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we tried

long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

So do other readers know of such behaviour or have suggestions what this
bird might be if it's not a blackbird?

Cheers,
Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

They certainly do ... and the maggots inside them! :-)
Spider

Old 28-04-2005, 11:08 PM
GeeBee

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird
which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we tried
long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

So do other readers know of such behaviour or have suggestions what this
bird might be if it's not a blackbird?

The blackbirds that live on our patch love gratted cheese as well......and
we have one that sounds like a reversing bleeper when it sings......makes us
chuckle every time we hear it.

Gail

Old 29-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Paul D.Smith

Umm. Makes it seem like all the other blackbirds we have are the odd ones
because only one bird bothers with the apple!

Have to give other fruit a try but the blackbirds have to be nippy as the
local squirrels have very sharp eyes and I'm not sure how I'm going to "nail
down" a runny banana long enough for the blackbirds get a look-in ;-)

Paul DS

Old 29-04-2005, 06:45 PM
spakker

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
All,

We have a bird which looks very like a slightly dark female blackbird

which
happily eats its way through apples that we put out for our blackcap
warblers.

This seems to be a single bird which does this (or perhaps it's just the
females) and never having seem a fruit loving blackbird before we tried

long
and hard to find another bird which it might be, but with no success.

I seem to recall that blackbirds, like humans, cannot make vitamin C and
this may be an explanation.

Old 29-04-2005, 11:03 PM
ian stalker

I have a blackbird that looks through my window each lunch time, and starts
making a racket, if Im late finishing my apple, as he is waiting for the
core.
Linda

Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My garden has, I think, the perfect apple tree for blackbirds. There are no squirrels around, and (I hope!) no rats. There is no easy approach for cats, and I'm far enough away not to startle the birds. I just leave the apples to fall from the tree, and blackbirds enjoy the feast for months.

I read somewhere that you may think you are just getting one or two blackbirds in your garden, but it's usually several different birds. They tend to look alike

Also, the males enjoy the apples just as much as the females. Indeed, the tough guys chase other blackbirds away from "their" apples. They do eat them on the tree, now and again, but seem to prefer the ground. But most of the apples seem to get pecked before I think about picking them. I wonder if this is evolution at work? I imagine the blackbirds thinking, "I'll peck this and then that fussy, pesky human won't steal it."

Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

and Blackbirds are selective with which apples they want to eat. Ours in our
neighbourhood like Coxs' apples.

Watching a pair of Magpies come down after some crusty pastry we put out.

Had the Robin down a few times

Mike

Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:32:18 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Watching a pair of Magpies come down after some crusty pastry we put out.

The Magpies that come to my garden seem to eat anything until they get
chased off by the Jays.

Steve

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

The quick answer is yes.

To eat or not to eat (:-) Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 1 30-10-2012 10:42 PM
Slug bait kills earthworms too, that kills birds, especially robins and blackbirds, not to mention b Hamish United Kingdom 0 22-07-2004 12:27 AM
re blackbirds and mulch Bob Holly United Kingdom 41 04-06-2004 11:12 PM
Blackbirds Lucy United Kingdom 42 19-10-2003 10:32 PM
controlling marauding blackbirds? John Savage Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM