Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Do blackbirds eat apples?

On 05/12/2012 11:27, wrote:
My garden has, I think, the perfect apple tree for blackbirds. There
are no squirrels around, and (I hope!) no rats. There is no easy
approach for cats, and I'm far enough away not to startle the birds.
I just leave the apples to fall from the tree, and blackbirds enjoy
the feast for months.

I read somewhere that you may think you are just getting one or two
blackbirds in your garden, but it's usually several different birds.
They tend to look alike

Also, the males enjoy the apples just as much as the females. Indeed,
the tough guys chase other blackbirds away from "their" apples. They
do eat them on the tree, now and again, but seem to prefer the
ground. But most of the apples seem to get pecked before I think
about picking them. I wonder if this is evolution at work? I imagine
the blackbirds thinking, "I'll peck this and then that fussy, pesky
human won't steal it."

Not many apples about here this year. Pyracantha berries seem to be the
dish of choice for blackbirds