Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Inspired neglect?

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have a little plastic food tray of leek seedlings.
They have been in the tray since May/June, mainly waterlogged,
recently
frozen.
They haven't grown but then again they are still alive and looking as
though they just need planting up to get going.
I'm pretty sure this is not the recommended way of over summering leek
seedlings.

I'd use them as they are, if you plant them out they will just run to
seed in the spring and will have a hard core.

They are far too small to use - couple of inches tall and very thin
indeed.
Nowhere near the size of spring onions, more the size of baby chives.

You could still use them in a stir fry or in a sandwich.

Hardly sems worth picking them to give token garnish on half a round :-)
Think I may just plant them up next year and see if they bolt immediately.

If it's worth saying it, my leeks were the same this year. I started them in
trays, planted them out. They did not do well. They didn't bolt, they
didn't grow either.
My spinach bolted almost as soon as it came up.
Beans, runner and french were spectacular.