Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Herbs & spices

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I thought
it
would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Thanks, Graham! ;-)

Sorry - I hit 'send' too quickly. I was wondering how many urglers are
already growing some of the things on this list. I mean, we probably
all
know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the 'fashionable'
ingredients in many chef's dishes earlier this year, but who knew it
as
Bear's Garlic. What a lovely name! Some things we can never grow
because
of lack of heat and sun hours but there are probably quite a few that
will grow here. Some years ago, during the televising of Chelsea, Istr
segment of the programme devoted to people with allotments in London
and
many were growing rather exotic herbs and veg.

The Bear's Garlic tag is actually quite well known. It springs from
the
ransoms' latin tag, Allium ursinum. Anything Ursine is bear-related,
as
in the stars Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (Great and little bear,
respectively). I bet you knew it but didn't apply it ;~).

Not I. I don't think I ever knew the 'ursinum' bit, otherwise I might
have
caught on!
--

The last thing with which you would want to come face to face in the wild
is

Did you hear that story (which I hope IS an urban myth) of the women found
by a park ranger smearing her child's face with honey. When asked what on
earth she thought she was doing, she said that she wanted to get a 'cute
picture' of a bear licking it off!!
--

I hadn't heard that one and it's probably a myth. The Banff Park warn people
to stay in their cars if they see a bear by the side of the road but idiots