Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Herbs & spices

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I thought it
would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I thought it
would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Thanks, Graham! ;-)

Sorry - I hit 'send' too quickly. I was wondering how many urglers are
already growing some of the things on this list. I mean, we probably all
know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the 'fashionable'
ingredients in many chef's dishes earlier this year, but who knew it as
Bear's Garlic. What a lovely name! Some things we can never grow because
of lack of heat and sun hours but there are probably quite a few that
will grow here. Some years ago, during the televising of Chelsea, Istr a
segment of the programme devoted to people with allotments in London and
many were growing rather exotic herbs and veg.

The Bear's Garlic tag is actually quite well known. It springs from the
ransoms' latin tag, Allium ursinum. Anything Ursine is bear-related, as
in the stars Ursa Major and Ursa Minor (Great and little bear,
respectively). I bet you knew it but didn't apply it ;~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I thought it
would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Thanks, Graham! ;-)

Sorry - I hit 'send' too quickly. I was wondering how many urglers are
already growing some of the things on this list. I mean, we probably
all know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the 'fashionable'
ingredients in many chef's dishes earlier this year, but who knew it as
Bear's Garlic. What a lovely name! Some things we can never grow
because of lack of heat and sun hours but there are probably quite a
few that will grow here. Some years ago, during the televising of
Chelsea, Istr a segment of the programme devoted to people with
allotments in London and many were growing rather exotic herbs and veg.

Sacha, please have a look at this, probably not what you mean, but I think
its relevent, in an historic way.

http://tinyurl.com/c3pr9zv

Baz
Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

[...]

There are a lot of his stuff on youtube have a wee look he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeIQcWex5w

Which is part of the wartime series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xvhv1YY7Kk

And these of the Victorian garden.

My work was in social history and I love all this stuff

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

[...]

Thanks so much, Baz. You have no idea how relevant this is! I shall print
it off and give it to Raymond, along with the DVD of the series which he
asked for for Christmas! I don't know how I missed it but I've never seen
it, so we're both going to enjoy that. When he was a young man, just
starting in horticulture, someone told Ray always to listen when 'the old
boys' started talking. Whoever told him that said "you'll get a lot of
reminiscence and waffle but every so often a real gem of information will
come your way". Raymond was 16 when he started in 1949 and he has always
found that to be true and even though he's now one of 'the old boys', says
he can still learn plenty from others who have been around as long, or
just a bit longer than him.
--
Sacha

Sooooooooooooooooo true. One of my illustrated talks that I give to groups
and Associations around the Isle of Wight is 'Food Rationing in World War
II' and they are usually to groups who like me, remember the situation at
the time, and, as you say, I can learn something every time I give one and
I try to incorporate it into any future talks. Just been out to the
Christmas Dinner with a completely non related group and one of the audience
of my last talk was there adding to the snippets of information.

Mike

Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-09 12:12:18 +0000, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

[...]

I am thrilled to bits that you lke it. I have the dvd's and I think
they are wonderful.

Baz

Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
we probably
all know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the 'fashionable'
ingredients in many chef's dishes earlier this year, but who knew it as
Bear's Garlic.
I've always known it as bear's Garlic, but in Latin (Allium ursinum) ;-)
__________________
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I thought it
would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Thanks, Graham! ;-)

Sorry - I hit 'send' too quickly. I was wondering how many urglers are
already growing some of the things on this list. I mean, we probably all
know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the 'fashionable' ingredients
in many chef's dishes earlier this year, but who knew it as Bear's Garlic.
What a lovely name! Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Ramsons or Allium ursinum got the name, or one similar, because someone at
sometime thought the leaves looked like a bear's ears !

I occasionally like to have a few leaves in a sandwich with some ham, but
when I asked the chef at a local restaurant what could be done with them ,
he said "Put them in the waste bin!!"
"One man's meat is another man's .........."

Bill

Old 10-12-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

,
he said "Put them in the waste bin!!"
"One man's meat is another man's .........."

Bill

This year they've been very fashionable and have featured on many
restaurant menus!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

They grow in swathes on the river bank at our local golf course. When in
flower the banks are a sea of white and the aroma of garlic pervades he air.

Bill

Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

[...]

Not I. I don't think I ever knew the 'ursinum' bit, otherwise I might have
caught on!
--

The last thing with which you would want to come face to face in the wild is
Ursus arctos horribilis!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, said:

[...]

Obviously a garlic purist. His loss. Keep enjoying those sandwiches!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

[...]

Did you hear that story (which I hope IS an urban myth) of the women found
by a park ranger smearing her child's face with honey. When asked what on
earth she thought she was doing, she said that she wanted to get a 'cute
picture' of a bear licking it off!!
--

I hadn't heard that one and it's probably a myth. The Banff Park warn people
to stay in their cars if they see a bear by the side of the road but idiots

Spices David Hill United Kingdom 4 04-02-2013 10:36 AM
Organic Gardening with Herbs & Spices shahwin Gardening 4 21-04-2010 11:09 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 12-07-2003 03:56 PM
potato & tomato soup, with herbs P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM