Old 16-12-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening
Baz[_6_] Baz[_6_] is offline

Default Crop Rotation.. Confused!

"ian" wrote in
:

Best way to remember this is Wombles : underground, overground, then
wombling free / fallow -
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have just taken over an allotment and am in the process of clearing
all (well most?) of the nasty weeds etc by the end of the summer. I
plan to divide the allotment into 6 parts. One part is for permanent
crops like fruit and the remaining five would rotate in the following
order:

Legumes, followed by
Brassicas, followed by
Fallow, followed by
Potatoes, followed by
Onions/Roots

I have read a number of articles on google and they all seem to offer
different rotations. For example some suggest following Brassicas by
Legumes; others suggest the reverse.

Does the plan, that I outlined above , seem OK? Or is it flawed.?

(The fallow bed is to allow me a chance to do deep deep cleaning of
weeds and will also provide a space for me to bed out some plants
like Wallflowers that I grow from seed before I transfer then to
their final positions in the autumn in the flower garden at home.)

Ed

Best thing to remember is not to top post.

Baz