Old 16-12-2012, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening
Fuschia[_3_] Fuschia[_3_] is offline

Default Crop Rotation.. Confused!

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:24:36 GMT, Baz wrote:

"ian" wrote in
:

Best way to remember this is Wombles : underground, overground, then
wombling free / fallow -
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have just taken over an allotment and am in the process of clearing
all (well most?) of the nasty weeds etc by the end of the summer. I
plan to divide the allotment into 6 parts. One part is for permanent
crops like fruit and the remaining five would rotate in the following
order:

Legumes, followed by
Brassicas, followed by
Fallow, followed by
Potatoes, followed by
Onions/Roots

I have read a number of articles on google and they all seem to offer
different rotations. For example some suggest following Brassicas by
Legumes; others suggest the reverse.

Does the plan, that I outlined above , seem OK? Or is it flawed.?

(The fallow bed is to allow me a chance to do deep deep cleaning of
weeds and will also provide a space for me to bed out some plants
like Wallflowers that I grow from seed before I transfer then to
their final positions in the autumn in the flower garden at home.)

Ed

Best thing to remember is not to top post.

Well done Baz.
I'm sure he will find that very helpful.