Old 16-12-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Crop Rotation.. Confused!

"Paul Luton" wrote

ian wrote:
Best way to remember this is Wombles : underground, overground, then
wombling free / fallow -
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have just taken over an allotment and am in the process of clearing
all
(well most?) of the nasty weeds etc by the end of the summer. I plan to
divide the allotment into 6 parts. One part is for permanent crops like
fruit and the remaining five would rotate in the following order:

Legumes, followed by
Brassicas, followed by
Fallow, followed by
Potatoes, followed by
Onions/Roots

I have read a number of articles on google and they all seem to offer
different rotations. For example some suggest following Brassicas by
Legumes; others suggest the reverse.

Does the plan, that I outlined above , seem OK? Or is it flawed.?

(The fallow bed is to allow me a chance to do deep deep cleaning of
weeds
and will also provide a space for me to bed out some plants like
Wallflowers that I grow from seed before I transfer then to their final
positions in the autumn in the flower garden at home.)

Ed

I suspect that wallflowers ought to go with other brassicas.

Growing and harvesting a crop of potatoes is a good way of getting rid of
weeds. I sneak in leeks ( from seedlings grown elsewhere) after the early
potatoes are harvested.

Paul

That is OK if you have space for a 5 year rotation, most don't and use a 4
year rotation.
In my case I use...
Potatoes (after manure)
Brassicas
Legumes and root crops
Onions etc.
Others change the Brassicas and Legumes around.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.