Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy[_2_] Janet Tweedy[_2_] is offline

Default Veg nutritional values

On 02/01/2013 08:14, Chris Hogg wrote:
I wonder how they know, because methods of nutritional analysis in the
1920's must surely have been relatively crude, if they existed at all,
compared with modern techniques. And does it necessarily mean that
growing your own today is any better than buying in supermarkets, or
is it that if there is a difference between now and then, that it's
due more to the varieties grown than the growing conditions, in which
case growing your own may not produce anything better.

Well that's why I wondered. I thought it might be becuaue they push too
many nutrients into the plants making them grow too fast too large too
quickly whereas vegetables grown slower, or of older, less economically
viable non-uniform types retain more goodness? or do they pick them
before they can develop properly?