Old 28-02-2003, 02:20 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Advice on fertilizer injectors

Dave,

I went through this last fall. Several folks recommended the $300+ injector
models. They are precise (or better than the siphon type). I haven't put
out the money for one of these yet. I really want something that can be put
on the end of a hose and not perminantly plumbed. I believe one of them
offer this feature.

I have a Dramm SiphonJect type of fertilzer injector. The problem with it
is that the water break tends to slow the water and reduces the pressure to
the point were the mix is not sucked into the hose.

For the winter I have resorted to a 32 gallon trash can where I can fill it
with warm water. I drop a sump pump into the trash can and pump the mix to
the plants. I already had the sump pump so the cost was just $12 trash can.
Here in the DC area the cold water is really cold. I did not choose to have
hot water plumbed into the greenhouse so I have to fill the can with water
from the sink (10 feet away). The water from the sink does not generate
enough pressure to make the SiphonJect pull the fertilizer into the hose.

Good Growing,
Gene