Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Veg nutritional values

"kay" wrote in message

'Janet Tweedy[_2_ Wrote:
;975752']On 02/01/2013 08:14, Chris Hogg wrote:-
I wonder how they know, because methods of nutritional analysis in the
1920's must surely have been relatively crude, if they existed at all,
compared with modern techniques. And does it necessarily mean that
growing your own today is any better than buying in supermarkets, or
is it that if there is a difference between now and then, that it's
due more to the varieties grown than the growing conditions, in which
case growing your own may not produce anything better.-

Well that's why I wondered. I thought it might be becuaue they push too

many nutrients into the plants making them grow too fast too large too
quickly whereas vegetables grown slower, or of older, less economically

viable non-uniform types retain more goodness? or do they pick them
before they can develop properly?

The link I posted above suggested variety, growing conditions and
measurement problems as possible links. I think Janet's making good
points. Growing them fast will give higher water content (which has been
measured in fruit), breeding for uniformity, appearance and disease
resistance means you won't necessarily retain nutrient levels, and
picking early undoubtedly does have an effect on taste, so quite
possibly on nutrient values too.

I've been impressed the last couple of years how home grown tomatoes
even of varieties not noted for taste can taste much more intense than
supermarket ones. And if taste is affected, I would expect nutrient
levels to be affected too.

--
kay

I find this thread interesting because one of the talks I give is on
'Rationing During World War II', I gave one yesterday afternoon to a WI
Group and never does the matter of taste come into conversation. I am doing
the talk again to another group of Ladies on Tuesday and whilst the subject
of the fact that we ate healthy food then, and what the size of the
population is now and is currently in the news and we eat too much hence the
obesity, I will introduce 'taste' and see what the Ladies say.

Very interesting how many IOW Urglers I meet :-)

Mike