Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Veg nutritional values

"Martin" wrote

"Bob Hobden""Martin" wrote

David Hill wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote

Now I am not someone who believes everything I hear, but an
interesting excerpt I heard on the Channel 5 programme about fitness
facts, was that vegetables grown and sold now (so not the ones we
grow
ourselves I am assuming) are seriously less valuable nutrition wise
than those grown and eaten in the 20's
can anyone really confirm this which must be yet another really good
reason to grow your own food as much as possible, and why are they
less nutritious. They gave two examples cabbage and spinach.

It's possible that the high use of nitrogen fertilizer may cause that
or
the modern varieties used for quick growing. Certainly it's noticeable
that some older varieties of veg have more taste ie. Majestic potatoes
for chips.
It's because they have taken all those great chemicals out of them,
insecticides etc.

Spinach fails the Pop Eye test.

Bintjes for chips.

Not if you want the old authentic chip shop taste of chips, then it has to
be Majestic.

I don't want limp UK chip shop soggy chips. I want and get
Dutch/Belgian type chips. They grow and use Bintjes

Majestic chips are certainly not limp and soggy (if cooked right) but they
were the variety the chip shops used to use in the "old days" and it's them
that had that taste us older people remember.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.