Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] collecting trees

Hello to All,

Jerry,

fortunately the experience I gained from growing the Grewia
Caffra,off set the premature death somewhat.I can focus
on growing for a large trunk with thick branches,knowing that
the finer branching can be easily had down the road on this
second specimen.

What I had hoped to hear from someone was that they had
actively tested the sharp particle idea and seen a difference
in the branching,or root response.Basically more branches/roots
and finer.
I tend to prefer the open tree branching with movements of
branchlets being up,down,across and not the layered shape.
Takes longer with clip and grow[alphabetical order],but it is
much more satisfying to achieve.Also looking very natural.

Your correct about the "barrier",as I observed in the "autopsy"
a very few fat roots in the clay soil ,with the finer feeders
occurring in the bonsai soil mix used in potting on the shrub.

I have put the "corpse" aside for the standard ashing,and then
to be used as a glaze on a pot.Gone but not forgotten.
Khaimraj
[Caribbean/West Indies,
Sempre Spring Zone.]