Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

On Jan 8, 10:56*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:31*am, "Danny D." wrote:

This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

Here are 19 annotated pictures, taken sequentially.
1.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912409.jpg
2.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912411.jpg
3.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912412.jpg
4.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912413.jpg
5.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912414.jpg
6.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912415.jpg
7.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912417.jpg
8.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912419.jpg
9.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912420.jpg
10.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912421.jpg
11.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912422.jpg
12.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912423.jpg
13.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912424.jpg
14.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912425.jpg
15.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912426.jpg
16.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912427.jpg
17.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912428.jpg
18.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912429.jpg
19.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912430.jpg

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

Brush cutter / mower.. (rotary lawn mower on steroids)http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...itemid=0700067...

Make sure the unit is powerful enough to handle the material size.
A large mower will chop material so disposal is at higher density or
chopped material could be left on ground.
Cutting path across hill face much faster than a chain saw.

Be prepared to follow up with the proper herbicide at the correct time
in the plant's yearly cycle.
True eradication is not a "one time" effort.

Geez if access to this area is limited just cut all the plants at the
base with a loping cutter, mark each location by driving a stake in
the spot.....

then when it begins to regrow, herbicide it heavily.

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

do not chip or BURN !! Burning smoke will give anyone in area poision
whatever in the lungs! can be life threatening!!

why work hard if you can work easy? the dead plants will eventually
rot, but will be a itch hazard till they have rotted away...

but the OP will have a much easier job