Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

On Jan 8, 10:56*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 8, 1:31*am, "Danny D." wrote:

This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

Here are 19 annotated pictures, taken sequentially.
1.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912409.jpg
2.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912411.jpg
3.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912412.jpg
4.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912413.jpg
5.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912414.jpg
6.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912415.jpg
7.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912417.jpg
8.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912419.jpg
9.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912420.jpg
10.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912421.jpg
11.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912422.jpg
12.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912423.jpg
13.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912424.jpg
14.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912425.jpg
15.http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912426.jpg
16.http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912427.jpg
17.http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912428.jpg
18.http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912429.jpg
19.http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912430.jpg

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.

Brush cutter / mower.. (rotary lawn mower on steroids)http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...itemid=0700067...

Make sure the unit is powerful enough to handle the material size.
A large mower will chop material so disposal is at higher density or
chopped material could be left on ground.
Cutting path across hill face much faster than a chain saw.

Be prepared to follow up with the proper herbicide at the correct time
in the plant's yearly cycle.
True eradication is not a "one time" effort.

Geez if access to this area is limited just cut all the plants at the
base with a loping cutter, mark each location by driving a stake in
the spot.....

then when it begins to regrow, herbicide it heavily.

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

do not chip or BURN !! Burning smoke will give anyone in area poision
whatever in the lungs! can be life threatening!!

why work hard if you can work easy? the dead plants will eventually
rot, but will be a itch hazard till they have rotted away...

but the OP will have a much easier job
Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:05:32 -0800, bob haller wrote:

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

Hi Bob,

Trust me, I tried the weed killer.

Every year I buy this 2.5 gallon concentrated (41%) glyphosate (which is
a huge amount considering you dilute it 2 ounces to 5 gallons of water):

Notice those gloves in that picture are the ones I used on Sunday and
they're already starting to show the black urushiol lacquer, which only
reveals itself a day later (or after washing), presumably as it oxidizes.

The problem is that you need a helicopter to get the weed killer on the
leaves. Sure, I can spray the entire front by the curb, but how do I get
the spray 10 or 20 feet deep and down the very steep hillside?

A pressure washer, filled with glyphosate, might do the trick though!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:20:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:05:32 -0800, bob haller wrote:

i had great success on poision ivy by mixing 50% roundup with 50%
poision ivy killer... they wilted by the next morning and just died...
either seperately was not effective

Hi Bob,

Trust me, I tried the weed killer.

Every year I buy this 2.5 gallon concentrated (41%) glyphosate (which is
a huge amount considering you dilute it 2 ounces to 5 gallons of water):

Notice those gloves in that picture are the ones I used on Sunday and
they're already starting to show the black urushiol lacquer, which only
reveals itself a day later (or after washing), presumably as it oxidizes.

The problem is that you need a helicopter to get the weed killer on the
leaves. Sure, I can spray the entire front by the curb, but how do I get
the spray 10 or 20 feet deep and down the very steep hillside?

You might try a sprayer intended for fruit trees; long snorkel.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

here in phx, they spray olive trees to prevent flowering. they use what
looks like truck mounted pressure sprayers with a very long hose and
wand so they can reach the top of the trees some 20-40' up.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Perzactly. I've seen them used on apple trees, too.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:01:20 -0500, krw wrote:

Perzactly. I've seen them used on apple trees, too.

I like the idea of a truck mounted sprayer.

But there will still be tons of poison oak in the inaccessible places
like this one I snapped just today about 100 feet below where the
pictures were taken yesterday.

I don't think a truck can get down there, unfortunately.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

I wonder if a backpack sprayer would do the job?
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-gallo...yer-65040.html

Less efficient, but a pressurized water fire extinguisher has some range.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/firea...amerex-240.jpg
I've owned several of these, over the years. 20 foot horizontal range is
possible.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

http://www.guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000005595
I bought such a Nomad sprayer on Ebay, for cleaning
jobs away from home. Worked reasonably well. I also
used it to pump pink antifreeze into RV water systems.

Might apply Roundup mix to these poison oaks. Ten foot
hose. I remember I was able to stand on the ground, and
spray water on top of my mobile home. Kind of fun.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:45:52 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

here in phx, they spray olive trees to prevent flowering. they use what
looks like truck mounted pressure sprayers with a very long hose and
wand so they can reach the top of the trees some 20-40' up.

The truck-mounted sprayer 'might' work on the curbside plant, if I could
afford it - but - look at this picture to see the magnitude of the
problem I face.

There is just no way a truck is going to get down there!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 17:02:00 -0500, krw wrote:

You might try a sprayer intended for fruit trees; long snorkel.

Now that's a new idea!

I'll google to see what the heck a fruit-tree sprayer looks like!

I failed today to get my pressure washer to work because I couldn't
figure out how to get it to suck from the jug instead of from the hose.