Old 24-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Peter H

Default grub control - spring and summer treatment needed?

"Rene Wong" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I'm shopping for lawn care programs. Some companies offer a spring and
summer grub control treatment. They try to sell that spring treatment

helps
with the grubs near the surface, whereas the summer treatment uses Merit.

My question : if I'm going to get the Merit treatment in the summer, is it
necessary to have a spring 'surface/contact' treatment as well?

Rene Wong

--
If replying directly to this message via email, please remove "nospam"

from
the address.

Yes it is. The Merit works as a preventer and when applied as per the label
I have found it to be almost 100% effective in preventing a NEW infestation
of grubs. Unfortunately it is only effective on the very young grubs and
will do nothing to combat an existing problem.

You then have the option of combating the existing grubs w/ another product
or just waiting them out. They are the larvae of junebugs, Japanese beetles
etc and can live 1 to 3 years as a grub. At this stage they can't multiply,
so if you are using the Merit in the summer after a few years the existing
grubs will leave your lawn one way or another. The problem is you may have
to live with the lawn being dug up each spring and fall for a while.

Peter H