Old 28-02-2003, 02:40 AM
zxcvbob

Default When to start seeds?

"Dr." wrote:
Hi,
This year I'm going to try starting seeds indoors instead of buying
plants. There are a few varieties of peppers and tomatoes I'd like to try
that I haven't found locally.

Can anyone recommend when to start the seeds? They are tomato, hot
pepper, squash, cuke, lima beans, sweet peppers, and eggplant.
I live in N.W. Ohio.

TIA for the advice.

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW. I usually plant my peppers in
early February, but I'm running a little late this year. I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

Squash, beans, and cucumbers will do just fine seeded directly in the
garden once the ground is warm.

Best regards,
Bob, in Minnesota