Old 19-01-2013, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Feeding the Birds Some tips

There has been quite a few post recently on this
topic, but I've not seen any mention of locating
feeders etc, so I thought I would pass on my own
experience.

The most important thing in locating a feeder is to
make sure that it is sufficiently clear of walls trees
etc that predators can hide in/behind.

It also needs to be near a good source of cover for
small birds to dart into. I would say no more than
about 4 meters away. I have a trellis thingy (diamond
shaped wood, partly covered with ivy, which is about 2
meters away, and the birds love it.

Some trees overlooking the feeding site also seem to
help as they can look on at who is feeding, instead of
arriving and getting chased off by woodpeckers and the
like.

I have two feeding stations, which I tend to move
around (to save the lawn!) and also vary which food is
where.

What you feed is really a matter of choice and
experimentation. I gave up sold mixes years ago, as
they contain lots of wheat, and most birds just throw
this out. At certain times of the year this can be a
bonus, as the pheasants come and clean up, but from
now on, those that are left are too busy hiding from
the guns, and then the wheat will start to grow!

My own preference for feed is a mixture of kibbled
sunflower hearts and dried meal worms in a feeder,
peanuts and fat balls. I do also make a fat based feed
with lard, sunflowers, meal worms and breadcrumbs,
which I pack into old marg/spread containers. I put
these out on the ground, held down by pegs, when rain
is not forecast. Recently I also put some peanuts
through the liquidiser and the birds seem to love
that, scattered on the ground - don't chop it too
small it will blow away!

Apple cores or part bad apples are popular with the
blackbirds, but hey don't often eat the peel.

Hope all this helps!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales