Old 19-01-2013, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding the Birds Some tips

There has been quite a few post recently on this
topic, but I've not seen any mention of locating
feeders etc, so I thought I would pass on my own
experience.

The most important thing in locating a feeder is to
make sure that it is sufficiently clear of walls trees
etc that predators can hide in/behind.

It also needs to be near a good source of cover for
small birds to dart into. I would say no more than
about 4 meters away. I have a trellis thingy (diamond
shaped wood, partly covered with ivy, which is about 2
meters away, and the birds love it.

Some trees overlooking the feeding site also seem to
help as they can look on at who is feeding, instead of
arriving and getting chased off by woodpeckers and the
like.

I have two feeding stations, which I tend to move
around (to save the lawn!) and also vary which food is
where.

What you feed is really a matter of choice and
experimentation. I gave up sold mixes years ago, as
they contain lots of wheat, and most birds just throw
this out. At certain times of the year this can be a
bonus, as the pheasants come and clean up, but from
now on, those that are left are too busy hiding from
the guns, and then the wheat will start to grow!

My own preference for feed is a mixture of kibbled
sunflower hearts and dried meal worms in a feeder,
peanuts and fat balls. I do also make a fat based feed
with lard, sunflowers, meal worms and breadcrumbs,
which I pack into old marg/spread containers. I put
these out on the ground, held down by pegs, when rain
is not forecast. Recently I also put some peanuts
through the liquidiser and the birds seem to love
that, scattered on the ground - don't chop it too
small it will blow away!

Apple cores or part bad apples are popular with the
blackbirds, but hey don't often eat the peel.

Hope all this helps!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 20-01-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/01/2013 15:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Apple cores or part bad apples are popular with the
blackbirds, but hey don't often eat the peel.

Hope all this helps!

Will they eat butternur squash? i cut one in half and roasted it the
other day but then frogot it so it's now three days old and starting to
get mouldy . Would they eat that if i put it out?

Janet

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 20-01-2013, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:31:19 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 19/01/2013 15:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Apple cores or part bad apples are popular with the
blackbirds, but hey don't often eat the peel.

Hope all this helps!

Will they eat butternur squash? i cut one in half and roasted it the
other day but then frogot it so it's now three days old and starting to
get mouldy . Would they eat that if i put it out?

Janet

One way to find out.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 20-01-2013, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2013 11:43, mogga wrote:
One way to find out.

yes i gathered that ! though mine can be picky, NEVER eat niger, and i
got a feeder for christmas which I stuck in the ground just a way from
the other one, hung up peanuts and seed. Not a dickie bird! (literally)

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 20-01-2013, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2013 11:45, Martin wrote:
Perhaps. It depends on how hungry they are. What did you do with the
seeds?

saved some for sowing and others I have in the strainer still drying
out, they are big but will crucnh them up a bit and put them out.

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Old 20-01-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 19/01/2013 15:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Apple cores or part bad apples are popular with the
blackbirds, but hey don't often eat the peel.

Hope all this helps!

Will they eat butternur squash? i cut one in half and roasted it the
other day but then frogot it so it's now three days old and starting to
get mouldy . Would they eat that if i put it out?

Janet

One way to find out.

I think that if they did eat it, the mould might be bad for them?

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-01-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2013 13:14, Sacha wrote:
I think that if they did eat it, the mould might be bad for them?

yes but they eat rotten apples and stuff. Never mind, decided it was too
risky and put it in green bin. Such a waste though. I'm sure Kay would
have managed to get a meal out of it

Janet

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 20-01-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2013 12:33, Martin wrote:
The blackbirds & pigeons always eat stuff off the
ground including the seed from the feeders

Wish i could identify this washed out looking kingfisher shaped bird,
seen it three times today, brother has no idea what it is and he is a
bird watcher! Flattish head which is why it has a similar shape to a
kingfisher (to my eyes) very pale colours eats seed from perches on
hanging feeder. Smaller than KF though.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 20-01-2013, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On 19/01/2013 15:41, Roger Tonkin wrote:

Apple cores or part bad apples are popular with the
blackbirds, but hey don't often eat the peel.

Will they eat butternur squash? i cut one in half and roasted it the
other day but then frogot it so it's now three days old and starting to
get mouldy . Would they eat that if i put it out?

I think that if they did eat it, the mould might be bad for them?

Quite probably. Overripe and even rotting fruit is a very different
matter from mould. On the other hand, I would simply cut the mould
off and eat the squash - we don't have trouble with mould!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-01-2013, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-20 14:54:12 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

On 20/01/2013 13:14, Sacha wrote:
I think that if they did eat it, the mould might be bad for them?

yes but they eat rotten apples and stuff. Never mind, decided it was
too risky and put it in green bin. Such a waste though. I'm sure Kay
would have managed to get a meal out of it

Janet

I suppose with apples it's a bit slower to mould. Or something!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-01-2013, 11:40 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
On 20/01/2013 13:14, Sacha wrote:
I think that if they did eat it, the mould might be bad for them?

yes but they eat rotten apples and stuff. Never mind, decided it was too
risky and put it in green bin. Such a waste though. I'm sure Kay would
have managed to get a meal out of it
Ouch! That's on a par with an urgler who said "I remember you had a broken down seat ... it looked absolutely right in your garden"

Funnily enough, I was just about to ask you whether it was the cooked half that was going mouldy or the uncooked half. I've never had any qualms about cutting off the mouldy edge of an uncooked squash (and about an inch beyond it) and cooking the rest - you'd never get through a full sized pumpkin if you didn't!
__________________
Old 20-01-2013, 11:44 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
On 20/01/2013 12:33, Martin wrote:
The blackbirds & pigeons always eat stuff off the
ground including the seed from the feeders

Wish i could identify this washed out looking kingfisher shaped bird,
seen it three times today, brother has no idea what it is and he is a
bird watcher! Flattish head which is why it has a similar shape to a
kingfisher (to my eyes) very pale colours eats seed from perches on
hanging feeder. Smaller than KF though.
The only thing that came to mind was a nuthatch, but that's readily recognisable. Try and get a better description and if poss a photo. If he's a birdwatcher and doesn't recognise it, it could well be something interesting - there's a lot of exotics around at this time of year.
__________________
Old 21-01-2013, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2013 14:57, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 20/01/2013 12:33, Martin wrote:
The blackbirds & pigeons always eat stuff off the
ground including the seed from the feeders

Wish i could identify this washed out looking kingfisher shaped bird,
seen it three times today, brother has no idea what it is and he is a
bird watcher! Flattish head which is why it has a similar shape to a
kingfisher (to my eyes) very pale colours eats seed from perches on
hanging feeder. Smaller than KF though.

Could it have been a nuthatch? Relatively smaller beak, too, but
generally rather the same shape with a short tail like a kingfisher.

--

Jeff

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds Joanne United Kingdom 41 30-10-2004 06:10 PM