Old 26-01-2013, 10:01 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggles1504 View Post
Hi I have dug up many palms during warm weather but I have now won another to trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palms) that the seller wants me to dig up one is three foot and other is 6 foot. can I dig this in the cołd winter weather about 3-6 degrees celsius. will I risk killing them or will they survive? they will be transported and then put straight into ground. any help much appreciated. thanks
Hi wiggles, not sure where you are ? but it should be fine to move them now. If I had a choice, then i'd be moving them around February anyway. The only thing I'd watch would be to protect them from very drying icy wind, even tying in the top fronds to protect them.
If you have done this before, you'll know all about maintaining a firm root ball etc.
regards Lannerman.