Old 29-01-2013, 10:32 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlevick View Post
Hi there, hopefully someone may be able to help me.

We have a tree in our front garden, only photo is recent. All we know it's possibly some sort of oriental 0rnamental tree. It is like a very large Bonsai when in full leaf. In the summer when we moved in It had small dark green rounded leaves in clumps of overhanging weeping branches.

It does look quite twisted and gnarly as it stands now.

We would like to prune back before spring, but wondered if we should now wait until the dangers of frosts have passed. We thought we needed to prune before it started to Bud.

If anyone has any idea of what this tree might be or when to prune would be most grateful for advice.

many thanks
Hi Tomlevick, further to other good answers, I'd like to add the following.
Depending on how hard you prune (and I'd be thinking about removing half the existing growth) come next year, it will probably make alot of new strong growth. You have to realise how plants react to being pruned and generally its this, pruning in winter (when dormant) can have the effect of encouraging growth. Pruning in August, can have a limiting effect on growth (thats why dwarf trees tend to be pruned then) So, if this tree goes mad next year, come August, reduce this new growth by 1/3 and that will have the effect of slowing things down !! Dont fall into the trap of only pruning in winter, as
often, all your doing is removing only what has grown in the previous year again !!
regards,
Lannerman.