Old 11-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Default Pruning an Ornimental Tree

Hi there, hopefully someone may be able to help me.

We have a tree in our front garden, only photo is recent. All we know it's possibly some sort of oriental 0rnamental tree. It is like a very large Bonsai when in full leaf. In the summer when we moved in It had small dark green rounded leaves in clumps of overhanging weeping branches.

It does look quite twisted and gnarly as it stands now.

We would like to prune back before spring, but wondered if we should now wait until the dangers of frosts have passed. We thought we needed to prune before it started to Bud.

If anyone has any idea of what this tree might be or when to prune would be most grateful for advice.

many thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

[image: http://i45.tinypic.com/3329fs3.jpg]

We would like to prune back before spring, but wondered if we should now
wait until the dangers of frosts have passed. We thought we needed to
prune before it started to Bud.

If anyone has any idea of what this tree might be or when to prune
would be most grateful for advice.

many thanks

I have a bushy camellia tree that was keeping the
light from ornamental plants beneath it.

I have now heavily pruned it to make it tall with
a bare trunk and a crown top. This lets in more
light beneath and the plants there are growing
well. The camellia tree seems OK.

Peter
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/11/13 8:26 AM, tomlevick wrote:

Hi there, hopefully someone may be able to help me.

We have a tree in our front garden, only photo is recent. All we know
it's possibly some sort of oriental 0rnamental tree. It is like a very
large Bonsai when in full leaf. In the summer when we moved in It had
small dark green rounded leaves in clumps of overhanging weeping
branches.

It does look quite twisted and gnarly as it stands now.

[image: http://i45.tinypic.com/3329fs3.jpg]

We would like to prune back before spring, but wondered if we should now
wait until the dangers of frosts have passed. We thought we needed to
prune before it started to Bud.

If anyone has any idea of what this tree might be or when to prune
would be most grateful for advice.

many thanks

What is your climate? Do you get snow, hard freezes, or what?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 15-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
[...]

My Climate
Gardening diary at David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current

Thank you for your replies.

We live in the UK, North of England so we get some pretty heavy frosts and snow. Just had a bout of snow.

Unlikely to be pruning back for a while, so maybe we will need to wait until march perhaps??
Old 15-01-2013, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/15/13 1:01 AM, tomlevick wrote:

'David E. Ross[_2_ Wrote:
;976477']On 1/11/13 8:26 AM, tomlevick wrote:-

[...]

'My Climate' (http://tinyurl.com/4xkcb64)
Gardening diary at 'David Ross's Garden Diary -- Current'
(http://www.rossde.com/garden/diary)

Thank you for your replies.

We live in the UK, North of England so we get some pretty heavy frosts
and snow. Just had a bout of snow.

Unlikely to be pruning back for a while, so maybe we will need to wait
until march perhaps??

Yes, I would wait. Pruning can promote new growth, especially if you
have a brief period of mild or warm weather before winter is over. That
new growth would then be killed when the snow and freezing weather
returns.

I suggest pruning about 2 weeks before the expected end of cold weather.
I would not wait until mild or warm weather because pruning should be
done before new growth begins.

Old 28-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Registered User

'David E. Ross[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Thanks again David

Glad we waited, have just had some heavy snow!

Will watch the forecast for a while then give it a prune towards end of Feb.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlevick View Post
Hi there, hopefully someone may be able to help me.

We have a tree in our front garden, only photo is recent. All we know it's possibly some sort of oriental 0rnamental tree. It is like a very large Bonsai when in full leaf. In the summer when we moved in It had small dark green rounded leaves in clumps of overhanging weeping branches.

It does look quite twisted and gnarly as it stands now.

We would like to prune back before spring, but wondered if we should now wait until the dangers of frosts have passed. We thought we needed to prune before it started to Bud.

If anyone has any idea of what this tree might be or when to prune would be most grateful for advice.

many thanks
Hi Tomlevick, further to other good answers, I'd like to add the following.
Depending on how hard you prune (and I'd be thinking about removing half the existing growth) come next year, it will probably make alot of new strong growth. You have to realise how plants react to being pruned and generally its this, pruning in winter (when dormant) can have the effect of encouraging growth. Pruning in August, can have a limiting effect on growth (thats why dwarf trees tend to be pruned then) So, if this tree goes mad next year, come August, reduce this new growth by 1/3 and that will have the effect of slowing things down !! Dont fall into the trap of only pruning in winter, as
often, all your doing is removing only what has grown in the previous year again !!
regards,
Lannerman.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlevick View Post
Hi there, hopefully someone may be able to help me.

We have a tree in our front garden, only photo is recent. All we know it's possibly some sort of oriental 0rnamental tree. It is like a very large Bonsai when in full leaf. In the summer when we moved in It had small dark green rounded leaves in clumps of overhanging weeping branches.

It does look quite twisted and gnarly as it stands now.

We would like to prune back before spring, but wondered if we should now wait until the dangers of frosts have passed. We thought we needed to prune before it started to Bud.

If anyone has any idea of what this tree might be or when to prune would be most grateful for advice.

many thanks
For most of the people it is very hard part to decide when to start and where to cut the trees. So don't worry about it just remove all the dead, disease, injured, weak and twiggy growth of your tree.

Next remove shoots or twigs that are growing in the wrong direction, getting out of
bounds, or crowding and crossing other limbs. Finally finish the job by thinning out where
necessary for even spacing of branches, ease of spraying, and to maintain moderate growth and good annual flower production. Most shrubs and trees look better if pruned so they can keep their natural shape. When making pruning cuts, cut back to a side shoot, branch or
bud. Make the cuts close enough that no stubs are left.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
For most of the people it is very hard part to decide when to start and where to cut the trees. So don't worry about it just remove all the dead, disease, injured, weak and twiggy growth of your tree.

Next remove shoots or twigs that are growing in the wrong direction, getting out of
bounds, or crowding and crossing other limbs. Finally finish the job by thinning out where
necessary for even spacing of branches, ease of spraying, and to maintain moderate growth and good annual flower production. Most shrubs and trees look better if pruned so they can keep their natural shape. When making pruning cuts, cut back to a side shoot, branch or
bud. Make the cuts close enough that no stubs are left.

Thank you both for your additional and very helpful replies, have taken both on board and will print off this whole thread for easier reference!