Old 24-04-2003, 03:56 PM
jmorales

Default Permalon Question

Permalon does stretch, just not nearly as much as EDPM. Permalon is
kinda like a ribbed ultra industrial strength version of the plastic
used to bag beef jerky (*shrug* its the only thing in reach that I can
compare it to).

I have a sample of the permalon liner (a 6x8 sheet) that Reef
Industries sent me and I used it as a test to see if I can "bikal"
pipe boot with it. I had some extra 1" PVC pipe lying around from when
I had to re-route the sprinkler system in my back yard. Using this 1"
PVC pipe, I followed the directions on the bikal website.

The end result was some very tired fingers and a snug fitting "pipe
boot". Since the permalon didnt stretch as easily, I really had to
work it until it stretched over the pipe. Im wondering if heating the
Permalon would allow it to stretch better (I just tried it with a
co-worker's lighter and I dont recommend using a lighter to do this.
However, the permalon did stretch a bit better when it was warm as
opposed to cold. Perhaps leaving it out in the hot sun would do the
trick). So yes I can see it working with the 4" I have for my bottom
drains.

I figure I can try this design and if doesnt work I can go to a
bulkhead type of fitting. Either way I have to punch a hole in my
liner and if I can get the bikal pipe boot to work, I can save myself
a lot of money.

JM

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
"jmorales" wrote in message
om...
Do a search on Permalon and Pipe Boot. There are some people that have
had success using the Greg Bikcal style pipe boot with Permalon. Im
guessing since Permalon doesnt stretch nearly as much as EDPM, Im
going to have to modify the design a bit (make the internal hole
bigger). I am going to attempt to do it myself with my new 3500 gal
pond.

Here is the link to Greg's pipe boot.

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pipeboot.htm

Ahhh yes...this is the URL I lose on a monthly basis. His designs are enough
for me to want to use EPDM. When do you think your Permalon boot will be
ready? If you don't take a plethora of pictures...you will be taken out back
and thrown in your pond. I promise you that.

Kenco...can you elaborate on the bathroom flange with Permalon?

I need to solve this...I want to order liner this week for next weekend. I
think I'll have some hands to help move the liner in place.

BV.