Old 22-04-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Permalon Question

Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM? The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 22-04-2003, 02:32 PM
KenCo

BenignVanilla wrote:

Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM?

no, thats why it can be self supporting.

The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

they shouldnt as it should be a "flange" w/ gaskets.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.
Old 22-04-2003, 03:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"KenCo" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM?

no, thats why it can be self supporting.

Ick...this could be a problem.

The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

they shouldnt as it should be a "flange" w/ gaskets.

I don't have the URL on hand, as I am at work, but the design is basically a
hole in the liner, pipe clamp and then another ring of rubber around the
edges to protect the whole shebang...Now what was that URL again...

BV

Old 22-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM? The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Permalon doesn't stretch at all.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 22-04-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM? The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

snip
Permalon doesn't stretch at all.

snip

*sigh*...Just as I was getting ready to order some today. I plan on using a
DIY bottom drain, as I described before. In looking at the plans, the liner
needs to stretch a bit to make the seal, so it sounds like Permalon won't
work for me. If I could just remember the URL for the DIY bottom drain, I
could explain better...

BV.

Old 22-04-2003, 06:08 PM
KenCo

BenignVanilla wrote:
Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM? The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

snip
Permalon doesn't stretch at all.

snip

*sigh*...Just as I was getting ready to order some today. I plan on using a
DIY bottom drain, as I described before. In looking at the plans, the liner
needs to stretch a bit to make the seal, so it sounds like Permalon won't
work for me. If I could just remember the URL for the DIY bottom drain, I
could explain better...

BV.

a shower drain flange is a whopping $10 and would be
better than the stand pipe drain.

Old 22-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Gary Rich

BenignVanilla wrote:

Shareholders pond is going to have a bottom drain, a DIY model, with DIY
gaskets. Is Permalon as stretchy as EPDM? The DIY bottom drain/gasket
designs I have in hand, require some stretchiness.

snip

Permalon doesn't stretch at all.

snip

*sigh*...Just as I was getting ready to order some today. I plan on using a
DIY bottom drain, as I described before. In looking at the plans, the liner
needs to stretch a bit to make the seal, so it sounds like Permalon won't
work for me. If I could just remember the URL for the DIY bottom drain, I
could explain better...

BV.

You are looking for this:
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pipeboot.htm

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm
right? I don't know if permalon is elastic enough for the pipe boot
technique - I'd be interested to know as well.

Old 22-04-2003, 08:56 PM
jmorales

Do a search on Permalon and Pipe Boot. There are some people that have
had success using the Greg Bikcal style pipe boot with Permalon. Im
guessing since Permalon doesnt stretch nearly as much as EDPM, Im
going to have to modify the design a bit (make the internal hole
bigger). I am going to attempt to do it myself with my new 3500 gal
pond.

Here is the link to Greg's pipe boot.

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pipeboot.htm

JM

Old 22-04-2003, 08:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"jmorales" wrote in message
om...
Do a search on Permalon and Pipe Boot. There are some people that have
had success using the Greg Bikcal style pipe boot with Permalon. Im
guessing since Permalon doesnt stretch nearly as much as EDPM, Im
going to have to modify the design a bit (make the internal hole
bigger). I am going to attempt to do it myself with my new 3500 gal
pond.

Here is the link to Greg's pipe boot.

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pipeboot.htm

Ahhh yes...this is the URL I lose on a monthly basis. His designs are enough
for me to want to use EPDM. When do you think your Permalon boot will be
ready? If you don't take a plethora of pictures...you will be taken out back
and thrown in your pond. I promise you that.

Kenco...can you elaborate on the bathroom flange with Permalon?

I need to solve this...I want to order liner this week for next weekend. I
think I'll have some hands to help move the liner in place.

BV.

Old 22-04-2003, 09:56 PM
KenCo

BenignVanilla wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pipeboot.htm

Ahhh yes...this is the URL I lose on a monthly basis. His designs are enough
for me to want to use EPDM. When do you think your Permalon boot will be
ready? If you don't take a plethora of pictures...you will be taken out back
and thrown in your pond. I promise you that.

Kenco...can you elaborate on the bathroom flange with Permalon?

its a standard bolt through flange, easy to figure how it works.

floor drains, shower drains or toilet adapters all
work the same way and all can be used.

I need to solve this...I want to order liner this week for next weekend. I
think I'll have some hands to help move the liner in place.

BV.

it takes 10-12 days from order to del.

Old 24-04-2003, 03:56 PM
jmorales

Permalon does stretch, just not nearly as much as EDPM. Permalon is
kinda like a ribbed ultra industrial strength version of the plastic
used to bag beef jerky (*shrug* its the only thing in reach that I can
compare it to).

I have a sample of the permalon liner (a 6x8 sheet) that Reef
Industries sent me and I used it as a test to see if I can "bikal"
pipe boot with it. I had some extra 1" PVC pipe lying around from when
I had to re-route the sprinkler system in my back yard. Using this 1"
PVC pipe, I followed the directions on the bikal website.

The end result was some very tired fingers and a snug fitting "pipe
boot". Since the permalon didnt stretch as easily, I really had to
work it until it stretched over the pipe. Im wondering if heating the
Permalon would allow it to stretch better (I just tried it with a
co-worker's lighter and I dont recommend using a lighter to do this.
However, the permalon did stretch a bit better when it was warm as
opposed to cold. Perhaps leaving it out in the hot sun would do the
trick). So yes I can see it working with the 4" I have for my bottom
drains.

I figure I can try this design and if doesnt work I can go to a
bulkhead type of fitting. Either way I have to punch a hole in my
liner and if I can get the bikal pipe boot to work, I can save myself
a lot of money.

JM

om...

Old 24-04-2003, 04:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"jmorales" wrote in message
om...
snip
I figure I can try this design and if doesnt work I can go to a
bulkhead type of fitting. Either way I have to punch a hole in my
liner and if I can get the bikal pipe boot to work, I can save myself
a lot of money.

snip

I am not much of a plumber...I could not figure out how the bulkhead/toilet
flange would work. I stood in the aisle at Home Depot for 45 minutes trying
to figure it out when I finally gave up and called for my EPDM.

*laugh*

BV.

Permalon in Australia Han Chung Ponds 0 09-03-2004 04:32 AM
Pond Liner Pricing - EPDM vs Permalon Bryan Ponds 9 14-02-2004 01:32 AM
Polypropylene VS EPDM VS Permalon Han Chung Ponds 2 17-01-2004 06:13 PM
Opinion on Permalon + I just Graduated! Bob Ponds 8 20-06-2003 08:44 PM
Permalon Question BenignVanilla Ponds 13 09-04-2003 02:44 AM