Old 20-03-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Kiwi & frost

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
My newly planted kiwi (jenny) was got by the frosts, will it regrow ok?

NT

I always thought they were tough as old boots, my foliage always regrows if
it gets frosted but I have just read Baz reply and he seems to have lost
them so I will read other responses with interest.

I don't know how hardy they are in colder parts of UK, but it is here.
Mine is one of several self-sown "weeds" that popped up in the garden
from home made compost. A couple of winters ago it survived three weeks
of night frost (coldest temp -6 C). No fruit yet and I doubt it ever
will, but I like the stems and handsome foliage anyway.

There's a huge very rampant one covering a large section of wall in a
nearby garden, don't think that has ever fruited either.

Janet (Isle of Arran)