Old 19-03-2013, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kiwi & frost

My newly planted kiwi (jenny) was got by the frosts, will it regrow ok?

NT
Old 20-03-2013, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
My newly planted kiwi (jenny) was got by the frosts, will it regrow ok?

NT

I always thought they were tough as old boots, my foliage always regrows if
it gets frosted but I have just read Baz reply and he seems to have lost
them so I will read other responses with interest.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-03-2013, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 05:11:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My newly planted kiwi (jenny) was got by the frosts, will it regrow ok?

On the most recent of the Sunday morning A to Z of Gardening
programmes, letter K, James Wong talked about growing Kiwi plants. He
said they will "withstand anything a British winter will throw at it."

Pam in Bristol

Old 20-03-2013, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 05:11:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

My newly planted kiwi (jenny) was got by the frosts, will it regrow ok?

NT

The RHS website classes them as 'frost hardy to fully hardy', but that
'Young shoots are extremely vulnerable to frost damage in the spring
and may require protection'.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=600

Like many climbers etc. yours may shoot from below ground level when
the weather warms up, so don't give up hope.

My first one rotted in the ground. I still have the second one(which seems
dead)but didn't show anything lat year. I have been out and gave it a tug,
a few minutes ago, seems rooted. I am wondering now if it IS ok. The stem I
tugged on has almost gone, rotted. Could it be that the roots are still
alright? And just the stem has rotted? If so, I have given the OP the wrong
idea. We will know after the next bout of sub-zero which is forecast.

Baz
Old 20-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I don't know how hardy they are in colder parts of UK, but it is here.
Mine is one of several self-sown "weeds" that popped up in the garden
from home made compost. A couple of winters ago it survived three weeks
of night frost (coldest temp -6 C). No fruit yet and I doubt it ever
will, but I like the stems and handsome foliage anyway.

There's a huge very rampant one covering a large section of wall in a
nearby garden, don't think that has ever fruited either.
The ones that are grown for fruit are all grown as clones, and there is a reason for that. Seed grown ones will take a long time to get to fruiting, and the fruit may not be as nice as the shop ones, as with apples. As well as the male/female and difficulty of pollination business.

If you want to eat something more reliably, I'd suggest growning Actnidia arguta, a close relative known as the kiwiberry. Though it's still dioecious, so you still need a male plant for pollination. Or even hardier, and more decorative - multicoloured leaves, but the fruit are smaller still (and cats will destroy it if they get a chance) Actinidia kolomikta. Though again it does take years to fruit.
Old 20-03-2013, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Was it underwater in your flood? If so it may have drowned
Janet

Old 21-03-2013, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

Chris Hogg wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yes it was. Good point.
I am going to keep a close eye on it for shoots. Hoping it has not drowned.
It will be a bonus if it knocks up a shoot or two.

Baz

Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Kiwi gender issues Right Star Edible Gardening 5 02-06-2003 04:56 AM
Kiwi? JNJ Gardening 9 27-03-2003 12:44 PM
Kiwi plants Mark Edible Gardening 18 01-03-2003 09:52 AM