Old 20-03-2013, 03:56 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I don't know how hardy they are in colder parts of UK, but it is here.
Mine is one of several self-sown "weeds" that popped up in the garden
from home made compost. A couple of winters ago it survived three weeks
of night frost (coldest temp -6 C). No fruit yet and I doubt it ever
will, but I like the stems and handsome foliage anyway.

There's a huge very rampant one covering a large section of wall in a
nearby garden, don't think that has ever fruited either.
The ones that are grown for fruit are all grown as clones, and there is a reason for that. Seed grown ones will take a long time to get to fruiting, and the fruit may not be as nice as the shop ones, as with apples. As well as the male/female and difficulty of pollination business.

If you want to eat something more reliably, I'd suggest growning Actnidia arguta, a close relative known as the kiwiberry. Though it's still dioecious, so you still need a male plant for pollination. Or even hardier, and more decorative - multicoloured leaves, but the fruit are smaller still (and cats will destroy it if they get a chance) Actinidia kolomikta. Though again it does take years to fruit.