Old 21-03-2013, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Allotment Bird and Cat Netting

rmacdonald wrote:
I've been having trouble with birds and cats getting on to my
allotment and spoiling my fruits and vegetables. I am looking at
getting some netting to put over my plants but was not sure what hole
size would be best to stop birds and cats. If anyone could advise me
that would be great.
Thanks.

The synthetic fibre (polypropylene ??) netting used on orchards, grape vines
etc to exclude birds ought to keep out cats too. The mesh is about 2-2.5cm.
This will be cheaper than wire mesh and easier to erect. You should be able
to get it at any garden shop.

It won't exclude frugivorous beasties with sharp teeth like possums, which
will chew through almost anything to get to a ripe peach. I am guessing the
cats are not eating your fruit but causing other nuisance that they will
probably do elsewhere rather than chew through a net.

David