Old 21-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered User

Default Allotment Bird and Cat Netting

I've been having trouble with birds and cats getting on to my allotment and spoiling my fruits and vegetables. I am looking at getting some netting to put over my plants but was not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats. If anyone could advise me that would be great.
Thanks.
Old 21-03-2013, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2013-03-21, rmacdonald wrote:

not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats.

..410 gauge

nb
Old 21-03-2013, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

On 2013-03-21, rmacdonald wrote:

not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats.

.410 gauge

nb

As with most problems, this is the worst answer, unless you want to
spend more time down at the local nick. It is an easy answer though for
the lazy, and simple minded.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 21-03-2013, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

You can handle cats with a chicken wire fence from a hardware store,
birds with bird-netting from a gardening shop.

Old 21-03-2013, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2013-03-21, Billy wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-03-21, rmacdonald wrote:

not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats.

.410 gauge

It is an easy answer though for the lazy, and simple minded.

....yet apparently painful to those devoid of any humor.

nb

Old 21-03-2013, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

rmacdonald wrote:
I've been having trouble with birds and cats getting on to my
allotment and spoiling my fruits and vegetables. I am looking at
getting some netting to put over my plants but was not sure what hole
size would be best to stop birds and cats. If anyone could advise me
that would be great.
Thanks.

The synthetic fibre (polypropylene ??) netting used on orchards, grape vines
etc to exclude birds ought to keep out cats too. The mesh is about 2-2.5cm.
This will be cheaper than wire mesh and easier to erect. You should be able
to get it at any garden shop.

It won't exclude frugivorous beasties with sharp teeth like possums, which
will chew through almost anything to get to a ripe peach. I am guessing the
cats are not eating your fruit but causing other nuisance that they will
probably do elsewhere rather than chew through a net.

David

Old 22-03-2013, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

On 2013-03-21, Billy wrote:
In article ,

On 2013-03-21, rmacdonald wrote:

not sure what hole size would be best to stop birds and cats.

.410 gauge

It is an easy answer though for the lazy, and simple minded.

...yet apparently painful to those devoid of any humor.

nb

A weapon is humor? Get help.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 22-03-2013, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2013-03-22, Billy wrote:

A weapon is humor? Get help.

I don't need help. I have a weapon.

nb
Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered User

Thanks for all the replies. I've managed to get some netting that seems to be doing the trick so far.

[IMG] code is On

Snakes and Bird Netting gldancer Gardening 11 14-08-2007 06:30 PM
Bird Netting Dave Edible Gardening 4 18-07-2005 12:09 AM
Anti-Bird Netting Ken Russell Ponds 5 08-02-2004 07:26 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
Light colored bird netting ?? Perk Gardening 0 06-06-2003 06:08 AM