Old 22-03-2013, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Sowing

"Spider" wrote in message
On 22/03/2013 16:22, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote

Will we ever be able to sow this Spring? A good covering of snow here
in North Staffordshire, and more forecast!

No snow here (yet!) and it's only just started to rain but there is a
vicious easterly wind. Our problem is gardening on Thames clay/silt it's
just too wet and sticky to do anything with. I've done no winter digging
because of the wet soil, it would only destroy the structure, and whilst
it did start to dry out a couple of weeks ago it's back to being a heavy
sponge again. Should have our early spuds in by now, no chance.

I'm in much the same position as you, Bob, but our rain hasn't come yet.
Snow is forecast for tomorrow. I certainly don't think I'll be planting
my spuds for a while. Although it's 3.4C without a breath of wind, it
seems much colder. I doubt I'll be gardening outside tomorrow, so may
orchids may get a birthday.

Ditto
My plot is still partially submerged. My chitting spuds will be in leaf
soon! Kitchen worktop now given over to seed trays

--
Pete C
From soggy, sticky SE London/Kent border