Old 22-03-2013, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing

Will we ever be able to sow this Spring? A good covering of snow here in
North Staffordshire, and more forecast!
Old 22-03-2013, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

Will we ever be able to sow this Spring? A good covering of snow here in
North Staffordshire, and more forecast!

No snow here (yet!) and it's only just started to rain but there is a
vicious easterly wind. Our problem is gardening on Thames clay/silt it's
just too wet and sticky to do anything with. I've done no winter digging
because of the wet soil, it would only destroy the structure, and whilst it
did start to dry out a couple of weeks ago it's back to being a heavy sponge
again. Should have our early spuds in by now, no chance.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-03-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2013 16:22, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote

Will we ever be able to sow this Spring? A good covering of snow here
in North Staffordshire, and more forecast!

No snow here (yet!) and it's only just started to rain but there is a
vicious easterly wind. Our problem is gardening on Thames clay/silt it's
just too wet and sticky to do anything with. I've done no winter digging
because of the wet soil, it would only destroy the structure, and whilst
it did start to dry out a couple of weeks ago it's back to being a heavy
sponge again. Should have our early spuds in by now, no chance.

I'm in much the same position as you, Bob, but our rain hasn't come yet.
Snow is forecast for tomorrow. I certainly don't think I'll be
planting my spuds for a while. Although it's 3.4C without a breath of
wind, it seems much colder. I doubt I'll be gardening outside tomorrow,
so may orchids may get a birthday.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-03-2013, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Ditto
My plot is still partially submerged. My chitting spuds will be in leaf
soon! Kitchen worktop now given over to seed trays

--
Pete C
From soggy, sticky SE London/Kent border

Old 23-03-2013, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, 22 March 2013 16:22:47 UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:

No snow here (yet!) and it's only just started to rain but there is a

vicious easterly wind. Our problem is gardening on Thames clay/silt it's

just too wet and sticky to do anything with. I've done no winter digging

because of the wet soil, it would only destroy the structure, and whilst it

did start to dry out a couple of weeks ago it's back to being a heavy sponge

again. Should have our early spuds in by now, no chance.

--

Regards. Bob Hobden.

Our early spuds are under about 10 inches of snow and it's still coming down.
Our farmer neighbour had 3 artic loads of seed potatoes delivered from McCain, yesterday. After unloading they towed the trucks out with one of their big tractors.
Hey Ho - spring's in the air.

Rod

Old 23-03-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-23 18:07:44 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

Ho ho ho! I just can't believe how cold it is here! It's not snowing
but we have that awful low, grey cloud without a breath of wind to move
it on. Ray has been walking around with at least 3 layers of clothing
and a woolly hat on today. Plants are just not growing and the almond
trees in the garden, which were starting to blossom, have put it all on
hold! It's supposed to be 6C in Plymouth but it certainly isn't here!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-03-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/03/2013 18:13, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-03-23 18:07:44 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

The whole weather thing is crazy,
Last Saturday I looked at my camellias and they were still in tight bud.
I told Sacha on Thursday I doubted they would flower before April but
looked at them today and there are around 50 flowers open.
As for spuds, I wonder about starting some in pots and then planting out
when possible.
Old 23-03-2013, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/03/2013 18:07, Rod wrote:
On Friday, 22 March 2013 16:22:47 UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:

No snow here (yet!) and it's only just started to rain but there is a

vicious easterly wind. Our problem is gardening on Thames clay/silt it's

just too wet and sticky to do anything with.

Snow here in Amersham and though the actual temperature is 2 degrees t
feels much colder with a very keen wind and damp and wet and cold. Snow
turning to slush but still having to be knocked off some less robust shrubs.

Sowed sweet peas and tomatoes thinking to be able to put the SPs in the
cold frame but honestly it's just too cold for them at the moment. Wish
I'd done them in November now

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 23-03-2013, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-23 18:07:44 +0000, Rod said:

[...]

Our Camellias did just the same David. It was too wet for you two to
'do the tour' on Thursday but while some have yet to open, others are
determined to do so and take and risk. I'd really wanted to show you
the fishtail Camellias but you'd have been re-baptised! One day
there's barely a glimpse of colour and the next, flowers are popping
open like mad. The pink Magnolia stellata outside the Tea Room had one
bud opening this morning and this afternoon two were wide open and two
more are on their way. Other things, by contrast, are simply clamping
down and refusing to even peep!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-03-2013, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Our Camellias did just the same David. It was too wet for you two to 'do
the tour' on Thursday but while some have yet to open, others are
determined to do so and take and risk. I'd really wanted to show you the
fishtail Camellias but you'd have been re-baptised! One day there's barely
a glimpse of colour and the next, flowers are popping open like mad. The
pink Magnolia stellata outside the Tea Room had one bud opening this
morning and this afternoon two were wide open and two more are on their
way. Other things, by contrast, are simply clamping down and refusing to
even peep!

Sue has just reminded me that last year at this time we had our citrus trees
out in the garden against their S. facing wall and I was working our
allotment in shorts and T shirt. Went down to get some sprouts and leeks
this morning and my hands felt like they were getting frostbite.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
Will we ever be able to sow this Spring? A good covering of snow here in
North Staffordshire, and more forecast!
My peppers, etc, are already sowed and growing well, in a seed tray on a windowsill. I find sowing stuff in the ground (potates aside) is usually a poor strategy, though that's maybe because I have a soil whose surface dries out very easily and shallow planted seeds are hard to keep moist enough for good germination. Stuff only goes in the ground straightaway if it really is a no-disturbance crop (and carrots would be a disaster in my soil anyway). For your potatoes, try putting some black plastic out so that when the sun does reappear it will warm up the soil quickly for you to put your potatoes in without too much delay.
Old 25-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
My peppers, etc, are already sowed and growing well, in a seed tray on a windowsill. I find sowing stuff in the ground (potates aside) is usually a poor strategy, though that's maybe because I have a soil whose surface dries out very easily and shallow planted seeds are hard to keep moist enough for good germination. Stuff only goes in the ground straightaway if it really is a no-disturbance crop (and carrots would be a disaster in my soil anyway). For your potatoes, try putting some black plastic out so that when the sun does reappear it will warm up the soil quickly for you to put your potatoes in without too much delay.
That's really would be great...

Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Ericaceae Rene Blom Gardening 2 07-01-2004 04:43 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
Sowing Lawn - Staffordshire Area paul.bennett United Kingdom 1 31-03-2003 06:44 PM
Last frost in May. When to start sowing veg? Nicholas United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 07:40 PM