Old 23-03-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Sowing

On 2013-03-23 18:07:44 +0000, Rod said:

On Friday, 22 March 2013 16:22:47 UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:

No snow here (yet!) and it's only just started to rain but there is a

vicious easterly wind. Our problem is gardening on Thames clay/silt it's

just too wet and sticky to do anything with. I've done no winter digging

because of the wet soil, it would only destroy the structure, and whilst it

did start to dry out a couple of weeks ago it's back to being a heavy sponge

again. Should have our early spuds in by now, no chance.

--

Regards. Bob Hobden.

Our early spuds are under about 10 inches of snow and it's still coming down.
Our farmer neighbour had 3 artic loads of seed potatoes delivered from
McCain, yesterday. After unloading they towed the trucks out with one
of their big tractors.
Hey Ho - spring's in the air.

Rod

Ho ho ho! I just can't believe how cold it is here! It's not snowing
but we have that awful low, grey cloud without a breath of wind to move
it on. Ray has been walking around with at least 3 layers of clothing
and a woolly hat on today. Plants are just not growing and the almond
trees in the garden, which were starting to blossom, have put it all on
hold! It's supposed to be 6C in Plymouth but it certainly isn't here!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com