Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beautiful Acer

On 01/04/2013 13:29, Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:47:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Hi Sacha,

I think it will look like that, some years, for a brief period in
spring. Maybe a few weeks maximum.

My friend (njacer in the post) grows this and has achieved the colour.
There are other pics detailing what it looks like the rest of the year.
It certainly seems like an attractive dwarf, forming a low cushion.

He lives very near the ocean so there is some mitigation of hot sun, but
none the less it does get pretty warm there in summer, which may
contribute to the colour.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/fo...ad.php?t=12014

cheers,

Thanks for that link. Most useful.

Also just goes to show that not everything you read can be taken at face
value. I looked up Hanami Nishiki in a couple of plant lists. Both
said it was green in summer and yellow in winter. That's true from the
UBC photos, but misses the best part! I wonder how many other
descriptions are like that?

On another point, your UBC link led me to an updated "Plant Hardiness
Zone Map of the British Isles" (http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html).
It's much more sensible that previous versions, I must say.

--

Jeff