Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beautiful Acer

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:47:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Hi Sacha,

I think it will look like that, some years, for a brief period in
spring. Maybe a few weeks maximum.

My friend (njacer in the post) grows this and has achieved the colour.
There are other pics detailing what it looks like the rest of the year.
It certainly seems like an attractive dwarf, forming a low cushion.

He lives very near the ocean so there is some mitigation of hot sun, but
none the less it does get pretty warm there in summer, which may
contribute to the colour.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/fo...ad.php?t=12014

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Now I know why people get worked up about Acer. Very nice colour that one.

Baz
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2013 13:29, Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:47:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Hi Sacha,

I think it will look like that, some years, for a brief period in
spring. Maybe a few weeks maximum.

My friend (njacer in the post) grows this and has achieved the colour.
There are other pics detailing what it looks like the rest of the year.
It certainly seems like an attractive dwarf, forming a low cushion.

He lives very near the ocean so there is some mitigation of hot sun, but
none the less it does get pretty warm there in summer, which may
contribute to the colour.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/fo...ad.php?t=12014

cheers,

Thanks for that link. Most useful.

Also just goes to show that not everything you read can be taken at face
value. I looked up Hanami Nishiki in a couple of plant lists. Both
said it was green in summer and yellow in winter. That's true from the
UBC photos, but misses the best part! I wonder how many other
descriptions are like that?

On another point, your UBC link led me to an updated "Plant Hardiness
Zone Map of the British Isles" (http://www.trebrown.com/hrdzone.html).
It's much more sensible that previous versions, I must say.

--

Jeff
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-01 13:29:52 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:47:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Hi Sacha,

I think it will look like that, some years, for a brief period in
spring. Maybe a few weeks maximum.

My friend (njacer in the post) grows this and has achieved the colour.
There are other pics detailing what it looks like the rest of the year.
It certainly seems like an attractive dwarf, forming a low cushion.

He lives very near the ocean so there is some mitigation of hot sun, but
none the less it does get pretty warm there in summer, which may
contribute to the colour.

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/fo...ad.php?t=12014

cheers,

-E

Thanks, Emery. We don't sell it, though we did last year but of course,
we never saw it achieve its full potential. If we have it again, I
think I'll try one in the slightly more wind-sheltered part of the
garden. njacer's photos really do tell a good story re this plant -
thanks to both of you.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-01 14:51:00 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

Is anyone growing this and if so, is the colour as good as it seems to
be in this photo?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9369440...in/photostream

Now I know why people get worked up about Acer. Very nice colour that one.

Baz

There are some beauties with gorgeous coloration. We have a finely cut
leaved one which is a dwarf type, just at the top of the steps leading
down to the tea room. It's such a wonderful colour that people stop to
look and admire it. If it was human it would have Titian hair!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:57:56 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Also just goes to show that not everything you read can be taken at face
value. I looked up Hanami Nishiki in a couple of plant lists. Both
said it was green in summer and yellow in winter. That's true from the
UBC photos, but misses the best part! I wonder how many other
descriptions are like that?

Worse than that, a lot of photos, both in books and on the web, are taken
with a flash or colour adjusted in some way. They look positively lurid,
but since some of the cultivars are so far, out people expect them to
look like that in daylight, in their own gardens.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 18:09:56 +0100, Sacha wrote:
[]
Thanks, Emery. We don't sell it, though we did last year but of course,
we never saw it achieve its full potential. If we have it again, I think
I'll try one in the slightly more wind-sheltered part of the garden.
njacer's photos really do tell a good story re this plant - thanks to
both of you.

Glad to help, and I'm sure njacer is too, he's a great guy and always
happy to share his passion, and his absolutely amazing garden.

I don't grow this one myself, and I must say I probably won't try it
until a better place opens up in the garden. But a lovely plant if
you've got a perfect spot.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy