Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Grow Azalea from branch?

Higgs Boson writes:

My lovely white Azalea is extending one of its branches into a path.

I want to cut off the branch and try to grow a new plant from it.

Usually I have pretty good luck on this kind of operation.

Wondering if any problems particular to Azalea.

I went on-line to several Azalea sites, but did not see this question addressed.

This is So. Calif coastal.

I started some clones from cuttings many years ago.
I used some rooting hormone and stuck a few cuttings in soil.

The cuttings took, but the plant I have from that is growing very
slowly. I had some deer attacks and frost die back but 8-10 years later
the plant is less than 12 inches high and it looks pretty bare right
now.

It has bloomed, almost every spring, but I think the plant is still
struggling to get going. Could be a result of the way I propagated it,
or just normal for young Azaleas, or just a result of where it's
planted.

The other thing you can do with Azaleas is pin a branch to the ground.
Come back in a year or 2 and it will be rooted. I've had a few branches
root like that on their own.

--
Dan Espen