Old 31-03-2013, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grow Azalea from branch?

My lovely white Azalea is extending one of its branches into a path.

I want to cut off the branch and try to grow a new plant from it.

Usually I have pretty good luck on this kind of operation.

Wondering if any problems particular to Azalea.

I went on-line to several Azalea sites, but did not see this question addressed.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA
Old 31-03-2013, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
My lovely white Azalea is extending one of its branches into a path.

I want to cut off the branch and try to grow a new plant from it.

Usually I have pretty good luck on this kind of operation.

Wondering if any problems particular to Azalea.

I went on-line to several Azalea sites, but did not see this question
addressed.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

I have no experience of Azaleas but a woody branch will often take better if
layered rather than by cutting a slip. A number of web sites say it works
with azaleas. If you cannot bend it down to the earth or a pot try air
layering.

Old 31-03-2013, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 12:33:42 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
My lovely white Azalea is extending one of its branches into a path.

I want to cut off the branch and try to grow a new plant from it.

Usually I have pretty good luck on this kind of operation.

Wondering if any problems particular to Azalea.

I went on-line to several Azalea sites, but did not see this question
addressed.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

I have no experience of Azaleas but a woody branch will often take better if
layered rather than by cutting a slip. A number of web sites say it works
with azaleas. If you cannot bend it down to the earth or a pot try air
layering.

Azaleas respond to layering very well.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-8701.html
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/30/13 5:13 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
My lovely white Azalea is extending one of its branches into a path.

I want to cut off the branch and try to grow a new plant from it.

Usually I have pretty good luck on this kind of operation.

Wondering if any problems particular to Azalea.

I went on-line to several Azalea sites, but did not see this question addressed.

This is So. Calif coastal.

TIA

I once rooted an azalea cutting. The potting medium was a mix of equal
parts of peat moss and coarse sand, well moistend. I used a rooting
powder.

For a mini-greenhouse, I took an empty liter soda bottle and cut off the
top. I then pried off the hard plastic bottom. Turning the bottle
upside-down, I put it over the pot.

The cutting did root, but it died when I tried moving it into a larger
pot.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

My lovely white Azalea is extending one of its branches into a path.

I want to cut off the branch and try to grow a new plant from it.

Usually I have pretty good luck on this kind of operation.

Wondering if any problems particular to Azalea.

I went on-line to several Azalea sites, but did not see this question addressed.

This is So. Calif coastal.

I started some clones from cuttings many years ago.
I used some rooting hormone and stuck a few cuttings in soil.

The cuttings took, but the plant I have from that is growing very
slowly. I had some deer attacks and frost die back but 8-10 years later
the plant is less than 12 inches high and it looks pretty bare right
now.

It has bloomed, almost every spring, but I think the plant is still
struggling to get going. Could be a result of the way I propagated it,
or just normal for young Azaleas, or just a result of where it's
planted.

The other thing you can do with Azaleas is pin a branch to the ground.
Come back in a year or 2 and it will be rooted. I've had a few branches
root like that on their own.

--
Dan Espen

Old 07-04-2013, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:21:05 AM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

[...]

Thanks to all for thoughtful advice. From the location of the plant, layering or pinning to ground would be difficult, so I am going to take a chance and just cut off the invading branch and try to root it. Wish me luck!

HB

[IMG] code is On

grow camellia, gardenia and azalea/rhododendron indoor Frank Gardening 9 11-02-2004 05:12 PM
How do I grow a tree from a branch? Tumbleweed United Kingdom 16 16-05-2003 10:44 AM
Red Branch Dogwood TC Plant Biology 0 06-05-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] Hibiscus branch fattening ... remove flowers or not? Paul Welch Bonsai 1 07-04-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Fw: Maple Society North American Branch Meeting Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:56 AM