Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Planting now

On 2013-04-02 18:47:19 +0100, Kate said:

Hi

Is it crazy to plant things right now in the cold weather? It's 7/8/9 deg
by day here, just below freezing at night. Dry.

Thinking of things like hardy Shrubs, herbaceous Perenniels.

Cheers
Kate xx

It's the soil temperature that really counts. If you can, wait a while
and let the earth warm up a bit. If you plant now, there's a danger of
things being frosted both above ground and below, depending on where you
live. In cold soil, nothing is going to get its feet down and start
growing. We have beds that are totally empty and which we want to fill
but we're not doing it just yet and being a nursery, we're not short of
plants! Hang on a while!

Coming back from the Hospital today you could see snow covered hills
about 10 miles inland
David @ the dry but cold end of Swansea bay

PS The date for planting potatoes in this area used to be St David's day
(1st March)