Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting now

Hi

Is it crazy to plant things right now in the cold weather? It's 7/8/9 deg
by day here, just below freezing at night. Dry.

Thinking of things like hardy Shrubs, herbaceous Perenniels.

Cheers
Kate xx
Old 02-04-2013, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-02 18:47:19 +0100, Kate said:

Hi

Is it crazy to plant things right now in the cold weather? It's 7/8/9 deg
by day here, just below freezing at night. Dry.

Thinking of things like hardy Shrubs, herbaceous Perenniels.

Cheers
Kate xx

It's the soil temperature that really counts. If you can, wait a while
and let the earth warm up a bit. If you plant now, there's a danger of
things being frosted both above ground and below, depending on where
you live. In cold soil, nothing is going to get its feet down and
start growing. We have beds that are totally empty and which we want
to fill but we're not doing it just yet and being a nursery, we're not
short of plants! Hang on a while!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-02 18:47:19 +0100, Kate said:

Hi

Is it crazy to plant things right now in the cold weather? It's 7/8/9 deg
by day here, just below freezing at night. Dry.

Thinking of things like hardy Shrubs, herbaceous Perenniels.

Cheers
Kate xx

It's the soil temperature that really counts. If you can, wait a while
and let the earth warm up a bit. If you plant now, there's a danger of
things being frosted both above ground and below, depending on where you
live. In cold soil, nothing is going to get its feet down and start
growing. We have beds that are totally empty and which we want to fill
but we're not doing it just yet and being a nursery, we're not short of
plants! Hang on a while!

Coming back from the Hospital today you could see snow covered hills
about 10 miles inland
David @ the dry but cold end of Swansea bay

PS The date for planting potatoes in this area used to be St David's day
(1st March)

Planting now Farm1 Australia 21 14-01-2007 01:04 AM
Fall planting: should you fertilize now? - A PlantMan Article. Earl Buchan Gardening 0 27-10-2003 10:12 PM
Suggestions for hanging basket planting for now Robert United Kingdom 0 07-08-2003 09:11 PM
Planting onion seeds now zxcvbob Edible Gardening 5 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Planting hedges now Bonsai John T. Jarrett Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM