Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedges for a newcomer

"plissken" wrote in message
news

Hi All,

Completely new to gardening and didn't in a million years think I would
be even considering taking it up but you never can tell where life will
take you. I've moved into a renovated house and it has a bit of land
around it. I've got a few questions on hedges and hoping for some
guidance.

I live in East Lothian (Scotland) on a particularly exposed piece of the
countryside. Southerly winds can be quite cutting and strong. I'd like
to plant some hedging for two main reasons. The first is for privacy.
My neighbors are farmers and I'm not keen on staring at their parked up
machinery. The second reason is that I'm wanting to get a few
polytunnels up and don't think they will be stable in the strong winds
without a hedge wind break. Couple of goals but not sure how compatible
they are with each other:

1. Needs to survive the climate. Can get cold and windy.
2. Would love ever green to keep cover and privacy.
3. Low maintenance. There will be a lot of hedging.
4. Height limited. Two to three meters will be plenty.

I think that's about all I can think of. Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance.
--
plissken

I think given that your neighbour is a farm you should avoid Yew and Laurel,
I think Martins Beech suggestion is the best bet.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs