Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Default Hedges for a newcomer

Hi All,

Completely new to gardening and didn't in a million years think I would be even considering taking it up but you never can tell where life will take you. I've moved into a renovated house and it has a bit of land around it. I've got a few questions on hedges and hoping for some guidance.

I live in East Lothian (Scotland) on a particularly exposed piece of the countryside. Southerly winds can be quite cutting and strong. I'd like to plant some hedging for two main reasons. The first is for privacy. My neighbors are farmers and I'm not keen on staring at their parked up machinery. The second reason is that I'm wanting to get a few polytunnels up and don't think they will be stable in the strong winds without a hedge wind break. Couple of goals but not sure how compatible they are with each other:

1. Needs to survive the climate. Can get cold and windy.
2. Would love ever green to keep cover and privacy.
3. Low maintenance. There will be a lot of hedging.
4. Height limited. Two to three meters will be plenty.

I think that's about all I can think of. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2013 17:29, plissken wrote:

[...]

Look around to see what they are using locally for stock proof hedging.

3. Low maintenance. There will be a lot of hedging.
4. Height limited. Two to three meters will be plenty.

Generally it is a contradiction in terms to want low maintenance fast
growing to some size hedging. You will always have to trim it at least
every couple of years (though you might get your farmer neighbour to
flail cut it with his tractor flail if you ask him nicely).

I think that's about all I can think of. Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance.

My choice would be (actually is) something like beech, cotoneaster
pyracantha, lonicera nitida, privet and a few native species trees
interspersed. The odd wild rose, honeysuckle and holly have also
appeared in it. If I had been planting it myself I would probably have
put a few slow growing native trees into the original planting.

If the hedge will be very long consider having blocks of different
species about 3m the same. Some things do grow faster than others. In
general variagates and yellow forms are less vigorous and more fragile.

Holly would fit the bill but you might have to wait a decade or more for
it to reach the target size and density. Yew is out of the question if
you back onto a farm since it is very toxic to livestock. If it is
really wild then you could consider gorse but it might not grow to your
full height or tend to flop over too much in the wind.

Not a recommendation for them but this lot have a wide range of hedging
materials and pictures (getting a bit late now for bare root planting).

http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/

Minor snag I see with southerly winds and a polytunnel is you are going
to have a dark patch with no sun behind your wind blocking hedge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"plissken" wrote in message
news

[...]

I think given that your neighbour is a farm you should avoid Yew and Laurel,
I think Martins Beech suggestion is the best bet.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"plissken" wrote in message
[...]

I'd certainly go for a mixed hedge but suggest a majority of hawthorn.
No amount of cold or wind will kill it, it's fast, wild-life friendly, a
superb windfilter..within a few years trimmed plants become so dense
they do make an effective visual screen. It's also the cheapest to buy.
Whatever you plant, I recommend a double row of plants set diagonally.

I understand your idea for the screen but would suggest that
"solid evergreen" is a bad idea.. in an open rural setting it's actually
more visually intrusive, than a through-bare-branches- winter view.

You might want to investigate the possibility of hedge-planting
grants in Scotland. (I received one at our last place in rural
Sirlingshire)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/fa...riorities/Opti
ons/Extendedhedges

When I planted mine, on very exposed high moorland, I also planted
alongside it a parralel cheap fast and disposable nurse-crop of purple
willow. ( on excellent advice from the grant making body) Willow can
grow 6ft in a season and be pollarded to thicken it; so within a year
there's a protective shelter for the permanent hedge. Willow will also
wind-shelter your polytunnel while you wait for the hedge. A few years
later when the permanent hedge was strongly established, the willow was
tired out and I took it out as planned... it's not longlived in cold
Scottish conditions anyway.

HTH

Janet Isle of Arran

Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2013 10:05, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

"plissken" wrote in message
[...]

That is very canny. A fast growing shelter belt with a limited lifetime
for the main shelter belt while it gets established.

In a garden I actually prefer slabs of the same hedging for 2-4m at a
time with the odd tree or wild rose in for colour. In a hedgerow then
any mix of thorny stockproof native trees will be fine, but if I have to
look at it I like to have a variety of colours, berries and flowers in
season. The main snag is that they all grow at different rates and
pyrocantha thorns will go through most heavy leather gardening gloves.

I let min eget about 3' thick which is plenty dense enough even on the
deciduous cotoneaster to hide eyesores like oil tanks.

A solid monoculture hedge might suit some people better. Beech is
probably the best of them if you can live with the leaf drop. It is
paradoxically not evergreen but enough golden brown leaves stay on all
winter when it is grown as a hedge (not sure if that is true somewhere
as windy as the highlands but it is true in N Yorks). The lime green new
leaves on it in spring are also really excellent. Minor irritation is
some years it is a martyr to whitefly where I live. The recent cold
winters seem to have sorted that out.

Where I can I steal the view to the far distance with the minimal most
unobtrusive stockproof fencing I can get away with and a strand of
barbed wire on top. This also requires annual maintenance as the stock
try to push it over to get to my veg!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered User

Excellent advice all. Many thanks for all the suggestions. Really like the idea of trying for a grant. Will be on to that in the morning. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Newcomer! harry United Kingdom 0 05-10-2011 08:28 AM
I am new to gardening with Bulbs can you help a newcomer ? darren30 United Kingdom 15 30-01-2011 07:08 PM
Newcomer desperately needs help! geri_a Gardening 4 14-01-2007 05:17 PM
newcomer with a rose question samboc7 United Kingdom 2 04-05-2005 03:44 PM