Old 05-04-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Help - quick fix for birds

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 03/04/2013 20:30, The Original Jake wrote:

I posted earlier but it seems to have gone walk about.
Why not suggest your neighbour plants sweet peas along the fence, then
he/she could also plant climbing or rambling roses that will grow into
the remains of the hedge.

Wrong thread, Dave.

In this case, I guess that Sweetheart doesn't want to replace one
over-large tree with another potentially over-large tree and, in any
event, whatever she plants will take time to grow. Chances are that by
the time any planted thing gets big enough the birds will have made
other arrangements. So what about some sort of arch-type structure?

Whilst plastic covered metal things are cheap, they look it. But there
are some very reasonable wooden arch structures available with trellis
all round, just right for something like a climbing rose or clematis.
That would give them something decently sized to perch on, you
something decent to look at and, in due course, a few bugs will no
doubt take up residence to provide an added food source.

Cheers, Jake

Thank you all for the ideas. They are excellent. I will be putting in an
arch. frame thing and cover it as suggested.
Really appreciate the help.

( Dave - hope your cold gets better soon).