Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Broad beans and peas.

On 06/04/2013 11:03, michael wrote:
On Friday, 5 April 2013 20:53:43 UTC+1, Baz wrote:
Sown 2 rows of 8m of both today. I know its cold, but after a soak in water they will be up in a few days.(fingers and toes crossed). Well we can't let the weather hold us up, can we. They grow or die. I have enough to do it all again. I expect the broad beans will do it, but the peas may not so will sow them again when it warms up a bit. God only knows when we can plant out our brassis. Baz

I am amazed that you are sowing peas directly in the soil.On our allotment,it used to be possible,but mice eating all of the seed is now the norm.So everyone sows their seed,either in a piece of guttering or in a seed tray,and plants them out 4" apart-in that way one gets a full well spaced row.The theory is that mice like peas when they initially swell after a couple of days-they are very sweet then.However,when the peas throw out a shoot the sugar gets used up in the growth and the remaining pea attached to the growing pea,tastes of starch.Mice sometimes taste mine,but after a couple leave them on top in disgust.
Michael

I remember my mother soaking the peas over night in paraffin before
sowing, this was to stop the mice eating them, that was 60+ years ago.